Talk me out of Upgrading (or perhaps encourage :)

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I feel I'm out growing my current tank. Red Sea Reefer 350, somewhat packed, runs well and is 3 years old. Tons of growth, mixed.

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

3xHydra 32HD, Red Sea oversized skimmer, GHL automation and ALK monitoring, all for reef (AFR) + Kalkwasser.

Some of my fish are also getting big.

So I have my eyes on a Waterbox Frag 165, 160+ gallons. I love the form factor of a more shallow reef. I would need 2 more Hydras (5 total) or I may switch to T5 (cheap, best). Skimmer I could continue to use and all my GHL equipment as well obviously. Need bigger ATO container, some sand, would move rocks over, perhaps get a few extra nice real reef rocks shipped from Whitecoral as well (europe here).

I stopped doing water changes a year ago (actually just did one a week ago as it somehow seemed wrong not to lol).

My concern with a bigger tank is that everything amplifies. I'll likely continue with minimal water changes, run AFR+Kalk. So overall I'm hopefully I don't need to spend a lot more time on the new thank (once established), nor will it be crazy more expensive to run (AFR is amazingly cheap with the powder).

Another concern is just getting it into the house. But will ask my LFS if they can do it (it's 'only' 150kilos).

Last edited:

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tenor (1).gif

You have a beautiful tank,.
Yea it will be a bit more cost since bigger always cost more.
if you aren't keeping this one running permanently and just moving everything to the new one then after the initial cost you shouldn't see too crazy of an increase of cost.

So definitely get the new one!

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually if I do this, I think I'm going T5. Cheap ATI sunpower dimmable, 80W bulbs. It will grow SPS like crazy. LEDs ok, but just need to mount them so high for good spread and still not at T5 level IMHO (perhaps Radion better though but don't want to spend 5K on new lights)

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually if I do this, I think I'm going T5. Cheap ATI sunpower dimmable, 80W bulbs. It will grow SPS like crazy. LEDs ok, but just need to mount them so high for good spread and still not at T5 level IMHO (perhaps Radion better though but don't want to spend 5K on new lights)
That sounds good, I'm not familiar with T5s but I'm starting to use them soon.
Definitely ask you LFS for the help, or check your local adds for a moving company that can help.
Sometime they don't really charge that much when it's a quick in and out job per say.

When I was moving I got lucky and was able to ask a couple of my coworkers to help me move my 2 200+ gallon glass aquarium from the basement of the house up steps.
It was an interesting morning I tell you.

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds good, I'm not familiar with T5s but I'm starting to use them soon.
Definitely ask you LFS for the help, or check your local adds for a moving company that can help.
Sometime they don't really charge that much when it's a quick in and out job per say.

When I was moving I got lucky and was able to ask a couple of my coworkers to help me move my 2 200+ gallon glass aquarium from the basement of the house up steps.
It was an interesting morning I tell you.

Thanks, thats good advice. Yeah it's the small things (moving) that actually scare me the most. The tank itself, I think I can get to where it needs to be.

200 gallon up stairs...I would not get any sleep just thinking about the project.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, thats good advice. Yeah it's the small things (moving) that actually scare me the most. The tank itself, I think I can get to where it needs to be.

200 gallon up stairs...I would not get any sleep just thinking about the project.
Trust me when I say, I actually didn't sleep for the 2 days prior to the move because I was stressing about it that much lol
Yea not one, but 2 tanks smh.
Good times lol

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would highly suggest if you are upgrading to get an acrylic tank.. much easier to move
And super easy to scratch. I managed to scratch every glass tank I've had but I'm kind of a clumsy oaf when moving stuff around.

Since you already have 3 hyrdas maybe look into a hybrid t5 / led unit. I put one over one of my tanks and love it. What i like about it is getting the benifits of T5 but being able to changed the colors on the leds for evening viewing so the corals pop. Also would save some money

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And super easy to scratch. I managed to scratch every glass tank I've had but I'm kind of a clumsy oaf when moving stuff around.
Yeah I heard that.

Since you already have 3 hyrdas maybe look into a hybrid t5 / led unit. I put one over one of my tanks and love it. What i like about it is getting the benifits of T5 but being able to changed the colors on the leds for evening viewing so the corals pop. Also would save some money

Yep good point, seems GHL (easy for me to get) makes a nice T5 + LED hybrid fixture. Fits 3 LEDs plus 4 80w bulbs.

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah, love the support.
Ok so talked to LFS. They can't get the waterbox frag 165 in stock until January. But they have the non-frag 180. Could be delivered Monday. They tell me to just use movers (and the quotes they had at hand were not super high). I need to think this through. It's an even bigger and heavier tank.

He also made me aware of the bad seal problem on the Reefers...Gotta love a good sales guy.

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's another way of making me realize I have to do this

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back