Tampa Bay Saltwater is BACK! (lots of photos)

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been waiting for the new owners to start shipping, so I could start my next tank. It finally happened and today I got part 1 of "the package"! I had used TBS many times in the past, but this time is the first with the new owners. Shipment arrived via southwest airlines to Milwaukee without issue. I got all the live sand and half of the live rock. Everything was packaged VERY well. The sand is all double bagged and none of the inner bags leaked. The live rock has many bags, because it's rock of course, and nothing leaked out of the outer bag, it was all contained nicely. The rock has amazing life, and I did see some friendly hitchikers (some hermits and snails). TBS ships it all in seawater, same day pickup (airport to airport) so it tends to have little die off. Every tank I've started with TBS I've been able to do safely add fish within days of receiving "part 2" and add SPS coral within weeks of receiving part 2 also.

IMG-6386.jpg
IMG-6385.jpg
IMG-6399.jpg
IMG-6398.jpg
IMG-6396.jpg
IMG-6395.jpg
IMG-6394.jpg
IMG-6392.jpg
IMG-6391.jpg
IMG-6390.jpg
IMG-6389.jpg
IMG-6388.jpg
IMG-6387.jpg
IMG-6384.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great news! Thanks for the update!!!

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Find any of the mantis hitch hikers yet? . I was going to go with TBS but ended up with KP cause they were still transitioning to the new owners

OP
OP
I

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Find any of the mantis hitch hikers yet? . I was going to go with TBS but ended up with KP cause they were still transitioning to the new owners
No shrimp that I saw. I had a pistol shrimp once. And a blenny once!

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No shrimp that I saw. I had a pistol shrimp once. And a blenny once!
Awesome! I had one mantis on my KP and it had since disappeared since putting it in the sump. It’s too bad too cause it was a bright yellow. But I have at least 3 pistol shrimp in the tank

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the compliment @i_am_mclovin, and glad your shipment arrived safely! Love that sandbed! Keep us posted when you are ready for Part 2 of the Package.

One part of being a rock farmer that we enjoy is packing orders for customers, and yesterday was the largest drop off to Southwest Cargo yet.
We do a lot of prep the evening prior, which helps us in the wee morning hours of shipping day. Many marine life shippers deliver their cargo the night before a flight and it sits until the next day's journey. Not us, air cargo boxes are packaged the same day you receive it.

IMG_1793.jpg

OP
OP
I

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliment @i_am_mclovin, and glad your shipment arrived safely! Love that sandbed! Keep us posted when you are ready for Part 2 of the Package.

One part of being a rock farmer that we enjoy is packing orders for customers, and yesterday was the largest drop off to Southwest Cargo yet.
We do a lot of prep the evening prior, which helps us in the wee morning hours of shipping day. Many marine life shippers deliver their cargo the night before a flight and it sits until the next day's journey. Not us, air cargo boxes are packaged the same day you receive it.

IMG_1793.jpg
So far ammonia readings remain at 0, so things are looking good. And yes these kinds of things which may seem small, are actually so impactful to the amount of die off and cycling you have to endure! Packaged up and in my tank in maybe 6 hours, kept underwater in sea water at all times! The tank is looking great so far. :) I really can't say enough about TBS over the many times I've used their rock!

OP
OP
I

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a small happy oculina robusta.
Very happy indeed, lots of polyp extension. Ammonia remains 0 this afternoon. Saw a few more hermits and snails, got maybe 3 of each. Also seeing lots of spaghetti worms, copepods, and micro brittle stars. These rocks were teeming with life!

OP
OP
I

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still 0 (or near 0) ammonia. Love it! (API test kit is notorious for showing 0 to .25 even when there is no ammonia.)

F4A7DA2B-0DC6-49D5-8134-07B433C4C156.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been waiting for the new owners to start shipping, so I could start my next tank. It finally happened and today I got part 1 of "the package"! I had used TBS many times in the past, but this time is the first with the new owners. Shipment arrived via southwest airlines to Milwaukee without issue. I got all the live sand and half of the live rock. Everything was packaged VERY well. The sand is all double bagged and none of the inner bags leaked. The live rock has many bags, because it's rock of course, and nothing leaked out of the outer bag, it was all contained nicely. The rock has amazing life, and I did see some friendly hitchikers (some hermits and snails). TBS ships it all in seawater, same day pickup (airport to airport) so it tends to have little die off. Every tank I've started with TBS I've been able to do safely add fish within days of receiving "part 2" and add SPS coral within weeks of receiving part 2 also.

IMG-6386.jpg
IMG-6385.jpg
IMG-6399.jpg
IMG-6398.jpg
IMG-6396.jpg
IMG-6395.jpg
IMG-6394.jpg
IMG-6392.jpg
IMG-6391.jpg
IMG-6390.jpg
IMG-6389.jpg
IMG-6388.jpg
IMG-6387.jpg
IMG-6384.jpg
I love to see this happening. I hope it won't be long before the present freight madness subsides so that this becomes more affordable for everyone.

OP
OP
I

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love to see this happening. I hope it won't be long before the present freight madness subsides so that this becomes more affordable for everyone.
Yea I will admit, the freight charge was not fun. Double what I had expected lol. But still worth it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I will admit, the freight charge was not fun. Double what I had expected lol. But still worth it.
A double for domestic freight is now common.

Was talking with @Joe Glass Cages the other day and IIRC he said a shipping container that once cost him $2,500 is now costing him $25,000!

OP
OP
I

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still at 0 ammonia, I think safe to say very little die off at this point. I added a tiny bit of pure ammonia to the tank to .5ppm and it was gone in less than 12 hours. Cycle is great!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look near as good as the old rock. Did they change sites?

Anyway, thx for the update and hope the rock does well in your system.

OP
OP
I

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look near as good as the old rock. Did they change sites?

Anyway, thx for the update and hope the rock does well in your system.
Having used TBS many times in the past this base rock is on par with previous base rock I’ve gotten. Remember this was part 1 so it’s only base rock you’re seeing.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 59 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.6%
Back