Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock

Run4Fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have to share this awesome experience. I've owned saltwater tanks for 12 years now and just picked up an order of Live Rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. The rock and sand are absolutely amazing. Tons of life along with several hitchhikers, including an awesome clinger fish, pink urchin, starfish, crabs, snails and filter feeders. The rock is full of coraline (purple, green orange) and filter feeders. This stuff is awesome and the best part is that it is packaged in saltwater so it's truly live. I attached some pics. The tank is 108gal and I went with a 65gal "package" plus and additional 50 gal of LS for a. The pictures show only 65 lbs of the LR. The remaining 65 lbs gets shipped once the tank is cycled.

IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG

Jason
108 gal Reefer xl

IMG_0445.JPG

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome :)
How are all the hitch hikers doing?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In full support

We run big cycling threads and this is the only live rock I've ever seen that repeatably skip cycles (whereas a true cycle means all its life dies, nothing on the rock lives if dieoff is not arrested)

By getting to keep the shipped macro animals it's value is tops in live rock agreed.

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been considering ordering a very small shipment of rock to add to my new system just to add some bio diversity. I started with all dry rock and cycled. Currently have 4 small fish. Was there any die off on these at all? Are they type "A" rocks? And have there been any pest hitchhikers?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they would be classified as the type b rocks x10 from my nerd thread lol really it's true though. They are massively loaded with life, but it's shipping well. Maybe they are hitting the transport bags with oxygen before pack, or they have them pre cured to known transportable inclusions but either way it works for lots of people.

There just hasn't been much dieoff from these rocks on many threads now, well cured for an aquarium they are

Pretty sure they'd be free of mantis, probably aiptasia and fish diseases depending on holding conditions but some invaders are associated with being cured at all, and those can move tanks. cyano being one, some algae etc but the quality makes it worth it... get purple color before five years etc lol

OP
OP
Run4Fun

Run4Fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! Brandon 429 - It does look as though I will avoid a cycle. I'm sure it has to do with the rock and sand being shipped in water. Ammonia at 0, Nitrite at 0, Nitrate at 2. Baby Ray - The hitchhikers are doing great. My hitchhiker clinger fish was in the bag with the sand and there was enough water that he was doing fine upon arrival. Here are some more pics. Jpergamo - good luck with your order. I'm sure you'll enjoy this stuff.

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so cool!!!!
I wonder if he is reef safe?
Are you going to keep him (the cling fish)?

OP
OP
Run4Fun

Run4Fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I plan to keep him. I believe he is reef safe but will certainly do a little more research first to make sure.

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I plan to keep him. I believe he is reef safe but will certainly do a little more research first to make sure.
That is so cool to get a fish hitch hiker :)
Can't wait to see what else you might get

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they would be classified as the type b rocks x10 from my nerd thread lol really it's true though. They are massively loaded with life, but it's shipping well. Maybe they are hitting the transport bags with oxygen before pack, or they have them pre cured to known transportable inclusions but either way it works for lots of people.

There just hasn't been much dieoff from these rocks on many threads now, well cured for an aquarium they are

Pretty sure they'd be free of mantis, probably aiptasia and fish diseases depending on holding conditions but some invaders are associated with being cured at all, and those can move tanks. cyano being one, some algae etc but the quality makes it worth it... get purple color before five years etc lol

I don't know if anything has changed but when I ordered my live rock from TBS it was shipped by air and I picked it up at the airport less than 8 hours after it was bagged. It was shipped submerged in salt water not wrapped in wet paper like some is. The rock doesn't sit in holding or curing tanks for long. Mine was taken from the oceann the afternoon before I got it. It truly is "live" rock.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize it was straight from the ocean that's neat setup they have for getting to consumer fast, wow. the curing process will still occur just a little within our tanks...we don't feed well enough to support 100% ocean benthic creatures...but this will be slow curing, in the order of what the system can process as normal bioload it wont be massive dieoff shipping which is more common in the slower transfer/shipping situations.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to go this route with my new setup to seed the dry rock with life. I like the idea of the rock being shipped in water to get a higher survival rate on the critters that come in on the rock.

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the minimum shipping cost really 100lb? I'm going to have to go the local route and find a reefer I can just buy a well established purple rock off of. Seems like this stuff is amazing for a new setup but the shipping might be a lot just to seed.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be more expensive but I am more interested in the life beyond the purple coraline algae that will be gained. Sponges, pods, and a good foundation of bacteria. There will be some hitchhikers but that comes with any live rock that is purchased.

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have to share this awesome experience. I've owned saltwater tanks for 12 years now and just picked up an order of Live Rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. The rock and sand are absolutely amazing. Tons of life along with several hitchhikers, including an awesome clinger fish, pink urchin, starfish, crabs, snails and filter feeders. The rock is full of coraline (purple, green orange) and filter feeders. This stuff is awesome and the best part is that it is packaged in saltwater so it's truly live. I attached some pics. The tank is 108gal and I went with a 65gal "package" plus and additional 50 gal of LS for a. The pictures show only 65 lbs of the LR. The remaining 65 lbs gets shipped once the tank is cycled.

IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG

Jason
108 gal Reefer xl

IMG_0445.JPG

And you will be ready for part two this Saturday...and was diving yesterday...got the amazing rock and critters for you!

Richard TBS:)

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the minimum shipping cost really 100lb? I'm going to have to go the local route and find a reefer I can just buy a well established purple rock off of. Seems like this stuff is amazing for a new setup but the shipping might be a lot just to seed.
See if there's any local reefers who are interested in a group buy. Chuck the sand and rock in a Brute can and let people in the group buy pick pieces per pound. That way you can split it evenly and I know a lot of people are interested in TBS to "refresh" their rock or seed a new tank.

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to treat this rock that way...this is real live rock...open the box take it out of the water and add to your display tank.....real easy...no die off..curing ect........and happy rock......

never try to hold it/cure it/isolate it....it is ready to go right out of the box, and needs to be placed in a happy environment from the get go...immediately ....no issues with this rock....

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct.....all the airlines have a 100 pound minimum shipping charge.....which means you can ship one pound or 100 pounds for the same charge...about $90 for the freight...and is usually same day service...I pack it in the morning...you pick it up after work. And for shipping estimate...double the size of your rock order to allow for the water weight which is covering the rock IE: 50 pounds of rock...will weigh about 100 pounds with the water on it....and packed with pure oxygen ....

Richard TBS

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skipping a cycle is the greatest anticlaim in reefing, sure to cause dismay in the masses.

good thing all pico reef science was built off skp cycles too

and all entrants into marine aquarium conventions

home movers
tank upgraders etc

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back