Tampa Bay Saltwater News update!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you well and you definitely had some of the best rock on the Planet! Sorry to see you go, but I do hope you can sit back and enjoy life a little more now. Take it easier and stay safe!

BigRick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AHHH Richard the time has finally come. I dont know where you channel the strength at your age to this work. When Dennis and I stayed with you and went diving we thought you had some underwater ocean powers in your jeans... Good time my friend. Was a great time hanging out with you and opening your home to us. Not to mention the best Cuban sandwich I ever had... everytime I hear Tampa Bay all I think about is your operation lol. Go Buccs!

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your story is super cool! Just wondering, Im from Canada and my parents may be buying a vacation home in Naples, is it legal to buy corals in Florida then bring them back to Canada?

OP
OP
liverock

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@liverock As a Virginian I imagine the lease is non-transferable to anyone out of state? Seriously this sounds like a dream job and as I sick at my boring desk job I am questioning my own sanity. Very curious at this point.
There are no restrictions on the lease transferability!

OP
OP
liverock

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AHHH Richard the time has finally come. I dont know where you channel the strength at your age to this work. When Dennis and I stayed with you and went diving we thought you had some underwater ocean powers in your jeans... Good time my friend. Was a great time hanging out with you and opening your home to us. Not to mention the best Cuban sandwich I ever had... everytime I hear Tampa Bay all I think about is your operation lol. Go Buccs!
Does seem like yesterday.....had a great time with you guys! Stay well!

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a wild ride. I read all your stories. Unbelievable. Sounds like an awesome adventure and career. I know exactly what a t-craft is as I almost bought one with a fly bridge for Muskie fishing in lake St. Clair MI.

OP
OP
liverock

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one with the flybridge is the one I purchased and rebuilt....new transom....deck....bridge...dual steering....bracket...motor..everything.....did it in my front yard many moons ago....I have a video of the process.....was a really neat boat...was nice to be up at the top station.....

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope...CITIES protected....cannot exit the US....
darnit. but are you allowed to transport corals and stuff throughout the US? Just like how one would transport a dog or cat? I believe I've seen Coralfish12g do it, when he bought his octopus in Florida then flew back to Chicago.

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.

Posting to clear up a lot of misinformation regarding Tampa Bay Saltwater and current events.

I had the wonderful opportunity of being a pioneer in the aqua cultured live rock industry here in Florida. I received the first and only five acre lease for aquaculture of live here in the State of Florida off the west coast of Florida almost forty years ago.

I was a real pleasure taking this new industry to you folks and supply the finest quality of live rock on the planet. It was for sure a wild ride, and I would not change anything that transpired in these forty years.

With the state of affairs we are all facing, and the fact that we are old and fat, 68 and 71 years old I have decided it is time for somebody else to take over the live rock lease and website. It will take a special person to step in and do as I did, and supply the finest live rock, sand and inverts on the planet. There is nothing easy about being a live rock farmer, but to me there would be no other occupation that would be as satisfying and rewarding as this was for me.

And thanks to Rev for putting up with me and posts that were on the edge of his rules, and I greatly appreciate that.

This would be a great opportunity for someone who is young, lives in the Tampa area and has adequate boat and facility to make this happen. I did it by myself for many years and it was very rewarding. This is a lifetime lease with the state that is renewable and transferable every ten years.

I used to think as I was anchoring up off shore when diving on my lease getting ready to jump in and get a load of rock, that I was very lucky to be out on the ocean living the dream, and not at a desk looking at a computer screen.

Many thanks to the thousands of customers I had over the last forty years, and and thanks for the support and understanding in these troubling times for all of us.

Most of all, be safe and please be kind and respectful of others.

Many Thanks for all the Years!! Could not have asked for more of my working life or a better occupation.

Peace

Richard TBS
Thanks for all the amazing rock over the many many years. I setup my 1st reef tank mid 90's and got my rock from you guys. It was the most alive stuff I had ever seen. Got out of the hobby because of so much work travel and Just got back into the hobby 2 years ago. During the 15+ away from the hobby I have keep all the rock from you guys. Dried stored all this time. Its currently in my new tank running right now and its alive as it every has. Must be some magic in that rock. I too am retiring in couple of weeks so enjoy your time and thanks for all the support to our hobby over the years.
Tampa Bay Rock .jpg 137278863_10225376913400009_5680815353722824303_o.jpg

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
darnit. but are you allowed to transport corals and stuff throughout the US? Just like how one would transport a dog or cat? I believe I've seen Coralfish12g do it, when he bought his octopus in Florida then flew back to Chicago.
That was one heck of a flight... OMG, can you imagine dealing with an inking octopus in an airplane bathroom at 20,000 feet? That is not the kind of mile high club that I want to join.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@liverock the end of an era....... but congratulations and best wishes for you in retirement!

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wish you the best and enjoy your retirement!
Would take any live rock you had left as well. Building a new a 550 gallon system and really looking for 200 pounds or so of some of the best live rock currently and really wanted yours! @liverock

OP
OP
liverock

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you the best and enjoy your retirement!
Would take any live rock you had left as well. Building a new a 550 gallon system and really looking for 200 pounds or so of some of the best live rock currently and really wanted yours! @liverock
Thanks....will try...soon as we can travel again!! LOL.... can't wait! There may be light at the end of the rock rainbow! sea ya

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your work and dedication to this hobby. My very first tank blessed with reaching out to you guys. Enjoy your retirement and the relaxing days ahead

Thanks

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back