Habachi_Grill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has experience and would be open to share about a tank rehoming multiple dragonets and a possum wrasse! Or multiple species competing for same food source (pods)?

Context: Innovative Marine Peninsula 14 Gal

I brought home 2 wild mandarins! Was able to get them to eat live + frozen brine, baby brine shrimp, white worms, copepod culture fairly quickly within the first 2 days. It's always been on my dream list of fish to include a tanaka pygmy wrasse into my home but I was a bit anxious on pod population obviously for such a small tank. It just so happens that I come across a local vendor that carried this specimen that has already been quarantine for the last 8 weeks on mysis and brine shrimp. Not every day you see a tanaka pygmy wrasse let alone a specimen that has already gone through extensive quarantine as what I am told. I believe I will be fine since they will get a taste of the good stuff with me (home cultured baby brine, white worms, copepod). I just wanted to see if anyone has attempted and how did it work out?

I culture tigger pods and harvest every 7 days.
I culture baby brine shrimp every couple of days. On alternate days I harvest white worm sample
On lazy days they get regular brine and frozen brine mixed

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanaka is - IMO - the most sensitive and delicate species of the three known species. If this is in good condition and used of frozen old artemia/ frozen cyclops - I would give it a try.

I have had possum wrasses together with many other pod eating species in a 80 gallon tank.

At the moment I have one Wetmorella nigropinnata, two red scooter blennies, 2 sailfin blennies, 3 yellow wrasses, 1 Macropharyngodon meleagris, many different gobies, mimic filefish, 1 Chelmon rostratus, 2 Assessor macneilli, 2 Manonichthys alleni and a lot of damsels. It has plenty of competing fish with other words.

However - its a shy fish and need a lot of hiding places. If you buy it - you probably will not spot it for a long time - it takes a long time before they use to dare showing up at bright daylight

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put that many specific pod eaters in a 14G tank.

You cannot put anywhere near enough rock in the tank to give the pods safe places to breed.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You cannot put anywhere near enough rock in the tank to give the pods safe places to breed.
If already used of frozen adult artemia - I do not see any problems. However I would add frozen freshwater cyclops too.

Sincerely Lasse

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 possums, 2 mandarins, and 3 wrasses that eat pods and stuff and they haven't starved yet.

All of them are eating pellets and frozen food so I think it helps with the pod consumption.

OP
OP
H

Habachi_Grill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanaka is - IMO - the most sensitive and delicate species of the three known species. If this is in good condition and used of frozen old artemia/ frozen cyclops - I would give it a try.

I have had possum wrasses together with many other pod eating species in a 80 gallon tank.

At the moment I have one Wetmorella nigropinnata, two red scooter blennies, 2 sailfin blennies, 3 yellow wrasses, 1 Macropharyngodon meleagris, many different gobies, mimic filefish, 1 Chelmon rostratus, 2 Assessor macneilli, 2 Manonichthys alleni and a lot of damsels. It has plenty of competing fish with other words.

However - its a shy fish and need a lot of hiding places. If you buy it - you probably will not spot it for a long time - it takes a long time before they use to dare showing up at bright daylight

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks for the reply! I've been on the hunt for this specimen for almost 2 years so I couldn't pass up the opportunity! In terms of livestock, its 2 Mandarin and the pygmy wrasse to come so very peaceful tank~

OP
OP
H

Habachi_Grill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely no way for pods to breed, but that's why I culture on the side and add weekly :)

OP
OP
H

Habachi_Grill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If already used of frozen adult artemia - I do not see any problems. However I would add frozen freshwater cyclops too.

Sincerely Lasse
Noted! I think they have a pretty wide selection of foods as is but doesn't hurt to give that a try as well!

OP
OP
H

Habachi_Grill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 possums, 2 mandarins, and 3 wrasses that eat pods and stuff and they haven't starved yet.

All of them are eating pellets and frozen food so I think it helps with the pod consumption.
Amazing! What size is your tank if you don't mind me asking? Please send over pictures!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you don't mind supplementing pods or if you can get the mandarins switched over to frozen you'll be fine. I have a half dozen wrasses and one mandarin in my tank and they're doing great - but I probably have 150lbs+ of rock in the 160-gallon display.

OP
OP
H

Habachi_Grill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dream fish ☑️

Attachments

• D6714F1A-6BCC-44A2-A518-BCC3417031CC.jpeg