Tanaka's Pygmy Possum Wrasse in a Nano Frag Tank

Jmm07e

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very small 6 gallon nano frag tank. There is a two inch elbow PVC pipe in there for surface area, and for a hiding place for the fish. It's against the back wall. There's no sand, and no live rock in the tank.

Do you think that a Pygmy Possum Wrasse will live comfortably in the aquarium? No other fish will be housed.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very small 6 gallon nano frag tank. There is a two inch elbow PVC pipe in there for surface area, and for a hiding place for the fish. It's against the back wall. There's no sand, and no live rock in the tank.

Do you think that a Pygmy Possum Wrasse will live comfortably in the aquarium? No other fish will be housed.
I know that these fish are typically pretty shy and wary of danger. I don’t think a fish like that would be happy in such a bare tank with not many hiding places. Then again, I haven’t kept this species so maybe someone else will think differently

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mine enjoys hiding so i don’t think a bare tank would work

OP
OP
Jmm07e

Jmm07e

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get all the coral in place, and maybe a clam, would it help?

Chances are I'll just get a Neon Goby, but Wrasses are so much better.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure youd be fine. I kept one in a Aqueon 8g. I'm guessing the majority of the tank will be a raised rack? Egg crate might be a little too visible but if its an actual rack I'm sure he'd chill under it and hunt just as he would a rock.

OP
OP
Jmm07e

Jmm07e

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's encouraging. Yes it's all raised rack. If I put in all the coral, and maybe a clam, then add the fish, and just be real careful and test the ammonia every day to make sure the fish and the coral do alright. The tanks been running for a month. Should be almost don't cycling. I've been adding bacteria too.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was picturing this being tied into the main system for some reason. They do like to hunt rockwork for pods ect but as long as you get one eating well I think you'll be fine. My experience wasn't with a tanaka but with a yellow banded possum, I'm sure the care and behavior is very similar.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back