Tang acting really weird. Flashing against glass.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My scopas keeps flashing against the glass. Idk why. Jarting and dashing all around the tank.

and breathing heavy
https://youtube.com/shorts/hhrzo
My scopas keeps flashing against the glass. Idk why. Jarting and dashing all around the tank.

and breathing heavy
https://youtube.com/shorts/hhrzoBm1M3M?feature=share

Bm1M3M?feature=share
Fish is displaying a behavior associated with Flukes which they are susceptible to. Known as flashing, other signs will be rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color .
You can also try a 5 minute freshwater dip in water the same temperature as display tank and return fish to display tank. This not only offers temporary relief but you can then check the bottom of that container for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. If you see that - Flukes it is.
Treatment of choice is PraziPro and while reef safe I prefer QT tank for treating but not necessary. If in dislay tank, remove your skimmer cup but leave the skimmer running as prazi-pro will make your skimmer go nuts. It will produce a truly amazing amount of bubbles so still have your skimmer running to keep the oxygen levels high in the water as some medications like praz-pro can lower the amount of oxygen in the water which is something you want to avoid so I recommend running an airstone in addition to treatment.
Also . . . remove any type of carbon that you have running to allow Prazi to run at full strength which will be 8 day interval, change water and treat again for one more 8 day interval.

Dfrashid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is displaying a behavior associated with Flukes which they are susceptible to. Known as flashing, other signs will be rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color .
You can also try a 5 minute freshwater dip in water the same temperature as display tank and return fish to display tank. This not only offers temporary relief but you can then check the bottom of that container for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales. If you see that - Flukes it is.
Treatment of choice is PraziPro and while reef safe I prefer QT tank for treating but not necessary. If in dislay tank, remove your skimmer cup but leave the skimmer running as prazi-pro will make your skimmer go nuts. It will produce a truly amazing amount of bubbles so still have your skimmer running to keep the oxygen levels high in the water as some medications like praz-pro can lower the amount of oxygen in the water which is something you want to avoid so I recommend running an airstone in addition to treatment.
Also . . . remove any type of carbon that you have running to allow Prazi to run at full strength which will be 8 day interval, change water and treat again for one more 8 day interval.
I do have a QT tank I can set up and prazi on hand.

Should i do this asap?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do have a QT tank I can set up and prazi on hand.

Should i do this asap?
yes. Apply Prazi for oner 8 day interval, do a water change and treat again for another Eight day interval

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. Apply Prazi for oner 8 day interval, do a water change and treat again for another Eight day interval
Got him and gave him the freshwater bath. You could see some dots at the bottom of the container. He’s in QT tank now. Man stressful last 2 hours.
Thanks

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since doing the FW dip and adding him to the QT tank he hasn’t flashed anymore. All he does is stay in a corner of the tank. He does eat. I just find it weird he doesn’t flash anymore.

@Randy Holmes-Farley

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ever since doing the FW dip and adding him to the QT tank he hasn’t flashed anymore. All he does is stay in a corner of the tank. He does eat. I just find it weird he doesn’t flash anymore.

@Randy Holmes-Farley
Because the Flukes were likely irritating its gills and it can eat but realize the dip gave it TEMPORARY relief and it still likely has them. You still need to do what I mentioned over the weekend:
Apply Prazi for oner 8 day interval, do a water change and treat again for another Eight day interval

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the Flukes were likely irritating its gills and it can eat but realize the dip gave it TEMPORARY relief and it still likely has them. You still need to do what I mentioned over the weekend:
Apply Prazi for oner 8 day interval, do a water change and treat again for another Eight day interval
I am i just thought it was weird thats all. Hes been in there since Thursday. Ill do a WC on Saturday and retreat.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the chances he get flukes again?

I put him through 2x prazi and almost 40 days of copper. Just today I notice him smacking the glass again. Hes been in DT for about 2 months since treatment. Any idea?

Really not trying to pull this fish again. He was a pita to catch.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Whats the chances he get flukes again?

I put him through 2x prazi and almost 40 days of copper. Just today I notice him smacking the glass again. Hes been in DT for about 2 months since treatment. Any idea?

Really not trying to pull this fish again. He was a pita to catch.
Just dawned on me- Never really saw pictures of the fish. If they are neobenedenia flukes, they are somewhat resistant to Prazi treatments and can get through the treatment and best way to eliminate them is Hyposalinity, getting the salinity down to 1.009 which can be done in hours.

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dawned on me- Never really saw pictures of the fish. If they are neobenedenia flukes, they are somewhat resistant to Prazi treatments and can get through the treatment and best way to eliminate them is Hyposalinity, getting the salinity down to 1.009 which can be done in hours.
Can fish live with it?
The scopas tang looks normal nothing visible.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can fish live with it?
The scopas tang looks normal nothing visible.
IF flukes can get into gills and cause issues
Please post a video under white lights of at least 20 seconds showing its behavior

Back