Tang Advice

Clee2158

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is starting to go through the ugly phase and Algae is becoming plentiful in my tank. I am looking at getting a tang. The tangs I am interested in are the White cheek, Purple, and Atlantic Blue Tang. I have always wanted a purple tang, but all 3 are gorgeous fish so I feel like I can't go wrong. For a tank that has been running for 4 months what would be my best bet for a good hair Algae eater. Any advice would be appreciated.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow and a purple, be advised that purple tangs love to be the boss and if you are going to have more than 1 tang, put the purple in last.
As far as beauty, they can't be beat

BTW tangs won't eat GHA if it's more than a 1/4" they will graze anything shorter.
That's my experience

Matt L.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had much success with tangs eating gha. I would try to solve the gha problem first, then add a tang, rather than the other way around. The added nutrient load from a tang might exacerbate your gha problem. That said, bristeletooth tangs of the genus ctenochaetus are the best at picking at rocks, and may do the best at keeping gha from returning once you eradicate it.

Matt:cool:

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite is an Orange Shoulder Tang

CA7CBBCD-730C-48A6-8BC1-458F02D0B1AD.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if a magic fish for algae exists. They will help, but not cure. Best bet is to remove what you can by hand during water changes and bolster the CuC. Algae will be gone soon enough, then you'll be stuck with fish for a problem you don't have anymore.

Back