Tang aggression or just establishing pecking order? Tomini and White Cheek Tang

MichiganMarc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all,
Just had a question regarding tang aggression/establishing pecking order.
Tank is a 165 gallon long (6 foot).
Tomini tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis) was already established. Recently added (01/22/2023) a White Cheek tang (Acanthurus nigricans).
White Cheek tang is doing well (eating mysis, pellets, flake, and nori).
Tomini tang seems to be not so happy with this new edition. He occassionally chases the white cheek around and does his flashing thing.
I did do my research and thought being they were two different types of tangs that they would be ok in the same tank.
I also increased the amount of food I am feeding to try to curb this behavior. Set up two Nori clips, one on each side of the tank.
I am going to try the "mirror trick" to see if that helps as well.

My question is, will the Tomini eventually settle down in time? I may just be overreacting but I just don't want the white cheek to get too stressed out.
The white cheek seems happy with his side of the tank, as of now, but i'm hoping eventually he will have free range of the whole tank.

Thanks for your time and your input.
Marc

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Just had a question regarding tang aggression/establishing pecking order.
Tank is a 165 gallon long (6 foot).
Tomini tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis) was already established. Recently added (01/22/2023) a White Cheek tang (Acanthurus nigricans).
White Cheek tang is doing well (eating mysis, pellets, flake, and nori).
Tomini tang seems to be not so happy with this new edition. He occassionally chases the white cheek around and does his flashing thing.
I did do my research and thought being they were two different types of tangs that they would be ok in the same tank.
I also increased the amount of food I am feeding to try to curb this behavior.
I am going to try the "mirror trick" to see if that helps as well.

My question is, will the Tomini eventually settle down in time? I may just be overreacting but I just don't want the white cheek to get too stressed out.
The white cheek seems happy with his side of the tank, as of now, but i'm hoping eventually he will have free range of the whole tank.

Thanks for your time and your input.
Marc
U r not overreacting. If u r seeing a tang chasing other, I think u may hv to take a step faster as it may cause death of weak fish. Try mirror trick as it is the most effective method

Back