Tang and blenny actin strange or normal?

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. It is safe to remove copper after being at therapeutic levels for 30 consecutive days.

2. You could, but the timer would restart on all fish. I advise against that. Copper is hard on fish, do your 30 days and get it out. Adding new fish is stressful, doing so in copper and qt makes it more stressfull. You also will want to add fish slowly to the 125 when its ready. That's a good time to start your next batch of qt.

You are on a successful track, keep it up!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to note ...

Ich and velvet can be transferred via aerosolized water droplets up to ten feet under some circumstances. (Generally less in a household environment) You might consider moving the QT a bit further from your display.

~Bruce

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to note ...

Ich and velvet can be transferred via aerosolized water droplets up to ten feet under some circumstances. (Generally less in a household environment) You might consider moving the QT a bit further from your display.

~Bruce

Interesting... It is appx 15 feet away at the moment. and recessed around a corner from it... I thought that would suffice... am I running a serious risk since the rooms are semi-open to each other? Please fish gods no...

I also have a tight customized lid for the QT 55g. Moving it could be done, but a p.i.t.a

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... It is appx 15 feet away at the moment. and recessed around a corner from it... I thought that would suffice... am I running a serious risk since the rooms are semi-open to each other? Please fish gods no...

I also have a tight customized lid for it.
I think he is talking about the small tank cycling next to your DT that you called the QT in video.

If you were to use it for QTing fish that close to a clean DT it would probably not end well from a cross contamination standpoint.

Your current setup is probably just fine.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds to me that you’re doing everything perfectly. Now patience is your friend. I had what I think was a velvet outbreak. I lost a Zoster Butterfly, Kole Tang, Flameback angel, yellow Goby, ocellaris Clown, bangai cardinal, and a flame back fairy Wrasse all within 48 hours. I only had a 10 gallon QT and no way to get another. The only two I managed to catch and quarantine were the Wrasse and clown. The others died before I could figure out what was happening. The tang, Butterfly and angel were all dead in the space of six hours, give or take. Even so, the Wrasse and clown died even when treated. My DT has over 20 encrusted young SPS colonies and it’s pretty much impossible to take it apart without killing all of them. I had five fish survive the outbreak.... a six line Wrasse, two yellow line gobies, a yellow Watchman Goby and a purple Firefish. If I ever have hopes of safely adding more fish, the tank needs to sit empty for two months. The fish I have left have developed a sort of resistance but new stressed fish would likely not be so lucky. So, I’m enjoying, for the moment, a healthy 60 gallon tank with five small fish. :)

Point of the story... be grateful you were able to intervene in the correct way and save what you did. Two months is a long time, but not so long when a tank can be your friend for years!

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said... thanks. And truly sorry to hear velvet cleared u out. That's a lot of loss u just listed. Way to stay steadfast and keep it moving! And good luck with the revival!

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... so... I cant help but think and have to ask...

My month of cupramine treatment @ .35 - .5 is complete. Buuuut.... I have like 5-1/2 weeks left on the fallow period tank they will be going into...

So my thought is... If I slowly remove the copper from the treatment tank they are in... is it possible the encyst stage could be on the tonga branch that is in the tank for comfort and that they may hatch out into the free swimmer "tomont" stage again once the copper levels have dropped below .25 (Therapeutic)

Or do I maintain the .25 levels until I move the fish in 5 weeks or so to be on the safe side?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine. I would remove the copper. Exposing fish to copper for extended periods of time may cause internal damage.

There is only one strain of ich that can last longer than 30 days, this would be a rare occurrence unless you dipped below therapeutic level at any time. Therefore you should be good to go.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty, I will start cuprasorb today... Thank you all for helping me save my fish!

Need to get the new QT moved to its new home. Going to grab a couple new friends when I et back from vacation in 2 weeks.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 40-45 days of therapeutic cupramine levels, things were going great... strong active fish in my HT.

With only 2 weeks left on my fallow timer, I find my PBT rubbing against the sand bed on its side this mornjng while getting ready for work... like 3 passes in 5 minutes.

Am I looking at another 30days of copper? :confused::eek: or should I wait it out and see?

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. It is safe to remove copper after being at therapeutic levels for 30 consecutive days.

2. You could, but the timer would restart on all fish. I advise against that. Copper is hard on fish, do your 30 days and get it out. Adding new fish is stressful, doing so in copper and qt makes it more stressfull. You also will want to add fish slowly to the 125 when its ready. That's a good time to start your next batch of qt.

You are on a successful track, keep it up!

Perhaps not so successful.... worried sick now... ugh... ill be home in an hour to check up on things

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you dewormed? Flukes could be causing flashing/scratching.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you dewormed? Flukes could be causing flashing/scratching.

No... should I?

If I see him do it again I'll start a FW RO dip schedule again.

Fingers crossed. I've worked so hard keeping them healthy and alive while fallow period runs its course on the 125

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just do a 5 min FW dip. If you can confirm flukes treat them with prazipro while they are still in QT. That is likely the culprit if you had them in therapuetic copper for 45 days consecutively, and they haven't been treated for worms.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just do a 5 min FW dip. If you can confirm flukes treat them with prazipro while they are still in QT. That is likely the culprit if you had them in therapuetic copper for 45 days consecutively, and they haven't been treated for worms.

Thnx

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first yellow tang...

Does his breathing seem rapid or is this acceptable breathing frequency? Debating a fw dip.. nothin visible yet.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back