Tang and Seaweed

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I go about getting a tang who is a bit older, and always eaten pellet food to eat seaweed sheets? I have put them on the clip a few times, and it completely ignores it. Pretty sure he is unaware it is food. How do I go about making it enticing?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try wrapping a piece of rock with a small strip of nori. Use a rubber band to keep it in place. Tie a length of fishing line to the rubber band. Easy to lower into the tank; easy to pull out. Just make sure it fits snugly. Not good if the rock bombs to the bottom if its a bare bottom tank. Yikes.

Red or purple nori seem to be the favorites.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know YMMV, but soaking it makes it rot off the clip faster and I never had more luck with stuff like garlic anyway.

Persistence is what always works. ;)
  • Hang a small 2x2" piece for the day
  • Replace it the next day.
  • Repeat until he starts noticing it.
BTW there are lots of other things you can feed that are probably better than noori....drying isn't the best way to preserve vitamins, enzymes and other important nutriments in the food. Not to say stop trying noori....just that there are other better things to also consider.

As far as you can tell, does he spend a lot of time grazing on the rockwork?

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know YMMV, but soaking it makes it rot off the clip faster and I never had more luck with stuff like garlic anyway.

Persistence is what always works. ;)
  • Hang a small 2x2" piece for the day
  • Replace it the next day.
  • Repeat until he starts noticing it.
BTW there are lots of other things you can feed that are probably better than noori....drying isn't the best way to preserve vitamins, enzymes and other important nutriments in the food. Not to say stop trying noori....just that there are other better things to also consider.

As far as you can tell, does he spend a lot of time grazing on the rockwork?

I haven't seen any grazing. it may be though because I would imagine it would have begun to appear thin after 3 days with the amount of food I have witnessed it eat. What are these other things I should consider for my tangs?

I will try some of this stuff. I thought about garlic, but thought maybe I could make my own smelly water to soak it in or something.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a white tail bristletooth tang that I could not seem to get interested in seaweed sheets until I tried a Gourmet Grazer. For some reason he went right to it. I don't know if it better promotes natural eating habits or what it was, but it worked.

https://www.amazon.com/Innovative-M...?srs=7879062011&ie=UTF8&qid=1519132062&sr=8-3

413ezerrCsL.jpg

For a purple tang I have taken a small piece of 1.25 PVC, about 4" long, and secured a half sheet flat on the outside with two rubber bands. He took to that very quickly.

vNx0QNqh.jpg

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back