Tang attacked Butterfly

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I got a new Pakistani Butterfly and my PWT attacked him. He has slight wounds on each side, which are not bad, but I noticed a few white spots on his pectoral fin. Can these be from the Tang or is it Ich?? The Tang couldn't retract his spine for a day. This all happened minutes after I uncovered my tank. I always cover the tank when I introduce a new fish so no light or extremely little for one day. So I immediately isolated the Tang from the rest of the fish. I don't want to fight Ich again. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be white spot on the one fish's fins, from that kind of stress.

If your other fish are in great health they might not be affected.

At least you separated your tang.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I got a new Pakistani Butterfly and my PWT attacked him. He has slight wounds on each side, which are not bad, but I noticed a few white spots on his pectoral fin. Can these be from the Tang or is it Ich?? The Tang couldn't retract his spine for a day. This all happened minutes after I uncovered my tank. I always cover the tank when I introduce a new fish so no light or extremely little for one day. So I immediately isolated the Tang from the rest of the fish. I don't want to fight Ich again. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Can you post a pic or short video of the Pakastani?

The physical damage from the PBT attack may or may not be slight, but this species is pretty well known for coming in with Neobenedenia flukes. Did you quarantine and treat it with Praziquantel?

Jay

OP
OP
Keywest99

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The physical damage from the PBT attack may or may not be slight, but this species is pretty well known for coming in with Neobenedenia flukes. Did you quarantine and treat it with Praziquantel?

Jay
I'm sure it's not ick, the photos show whitish areas on the outer edge of the fin, it's hard to see. My best shot of it is looking at the fin from behind rather than against him. When taking pics I noticed a fine white sugary looking coating on his other/left side on the white collar.

Attachments

• DSC_0006 (1).JPG
    DSC_0006 (1).JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_0007 (2).JPG
    DSC_0007 (2).JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0008 (1).JPG
    DSC_0008 (1).JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 31

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see some slight cloudiness on the pectoral fin in pic #3. It doesn't look too serious, I would just watch it for now.

However, the question still remains about treating this fish with prazi to ward off Neobenedenia flukes.....you might want to consider that.

Jay

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Tangs in general can be aggressive. Never seen one use their primary weapon. PBT are one of the meanest though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back