Tang Blind After Prazipro Treatment

IBlameTheDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sucks, the Powder Brown Tang I had in QT had black bumps all over it so I treated with Prazipro, the first week went as planned and the black spots were completely gone in a couple days, most in the first day, I performed a 50% water change and dosed for the second week as recommended and 3 days in the Powder Brown Tang started to look disoriented and seemed to be having a hard time. The Tomini and the Black Mollie I had in the same QT both seemed fine. I figured the medicine was just not sitting well and the Powder did not show any other signs of worms or ich so I felt pretty safe putting them in the DT. The Tomini and the Black Mollie both took to the new tank instantly and were picking at the rock and swimming around normally while the Powder Brown Tang hung at the bottom kind of pacing back and forth in the corner. The next day I noticed white spots on the Powder Brown and one on the Tomini so I pulled all the kids out of the pool and set up the hospital tank to get the copper going. Hind sight, I guess I should have just treated the fish as if they had ich just to be safe but here we are. They are all doing well but the Powder Brown seems to be blind, he cannot find food when I feed the tank, if he bumps into it he gobbles it up so I know it wants to eat just does not know where it is. I have seen him swim around kind of aimlessly and seems to navigate the items in the QT for the most part but it does bump into things. He was a very spirited swimmer before this happened. Also, he was acting odd before copper. So the question is... Will he recover and be able to see again? Is this normal from either the medicine, the ich, or the worms? I fear that he will starve slowly and I wonder if it would be more humane to euthanize him. I cannot imagine starving to death slowly. BTW, his eyes are clear/not cloudy and seem to move as if he is looking around. Very sad right now.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for this development. I have no idea if it will regain it's sight. My best guess is that it won't, but that's a pretty uneducated guess.

If it likes alhae, maybe hanging nori in the tank on a clip that is suction cupped to the glass would make food easier to find. And put it in the same place every day.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
IBlameTheDog

IBlameTheDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for this development. I have no idea if it will regain it's sight. My best guess is that it won't, but that's a pretty uneducated guess.

If it likes alhae, maybe hanging nori in the tank on a clip that is suction cupped to the glass would make food easier to find. And put it in the same place every day.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the reply, I don’t mind taking care of the fish as long as I can. I am only concerned with it slowly starving to death. I appreciate the response. He does like nori so that may be the best option.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back