TSM Aquatics

Benmil

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’ve just acquired a 5ft long 3 foot wide tank , it’s a shallow frag tank design and planning on using it as a tank for all my zoa and LPS frags. Looking to get a tang or two solely for algae control and wondering what everyone recommends ? Purple tangs are my all time favourite fish but if they aren’t the best with algae I’ll go elsewhere, thanks in advance !

AS

TangGang

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’ve just acquired a 5ft long 3 foot wide tank , it’s a shallow frag tank design and planning on using it as a tank for all my zoa and LPS frags. Looking to get a tang or two solely for algae control and wondering what everyone recommends ? Purple tangs are my all time favourite fish but if they aren’t the best with algae I’ll go elsewhere, thanks in advance !
Tomini tangs destroy algae.

Fritz

nereefpat

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Keep in mind that bristletooths (Ctenochaetus genus: kole, tomini, white tail, etc) eat different types of algae than the sailfins (Zebrasoma genus: yellow, purple, etc).

You can get more than one for a 5x3 tank.

Another great algae eating fish is one of the foxfaces.

OP
Benmil

Benmil

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Keep in mind that bristletooths (Ctenochaetus genus: kole, tomini, white tail, etc) eat different types of algae than the sailfins (Zebrasoma genus: yellow, purple, etc).

You can get more than one for a 5x3 tank.

Another great algae eating fish is one of the foxfaces.
I have a little Fiji foxface in my display but he’s a bugger for nipping my LPS , still love the little fella and he’s great for algae. I might just see what sort of algae I’m having issues with and sort from there. Thanks for the help everyone , I’ve got mollies doing the work in my little frag tank and they are brilliant to be honest

Top Shelf Aquatics

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Josvanmeer's hit on the very suggestion I'd make;

Bristletooth tangs are industrious removers of film algaes, while Zebrasoma seem to be the handiest with hair algaes. Purples get a little bit big, but a smaller purple or a yellow and a bristletooth would give you a near unbeatable team.

A lot of folks recommend the foxfaces for bubble algae, and I have one in my tank - but I've also seen my purple tackle bubble.

~B.

TSM Aquatics

IS RTN/STN MORE COMMON THAN IT USED TO BE?

• Yes! I (and/or my friends) have experienced it more than it used happen.

Votes: 59 21.0%
  • No. I think it's about the same.

Votes: 94 33.5%
  • No. It's actually less common than it used to be.

Votes: 28 10.0%
  • I've never experienced RTN/STN.

Votes: 29 10.3%
  • What's RTN/STN?

Votes: 71 25.3%
BMF signature corals