Tang choice for 5foot long frag tank ?

Benmil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just acquired a 5ft long 3 foot wide tank , it’s a shallow frag tank design and planning on using it as a tank for all my zoa and LPS frags. Looking to get a tang or two solely for algae control and wondering what everyone recommends ? Purple tangs are my all time favourite fish but if they aren’t the best with algae I’ll go elsewhere, thanks in advance !

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just acquired a 5ft long 3 foot wide tank , it’s a shallow frag tank design and planning on using it as a tank for all my zoa and LPS frags. Looking to get a tang or two solely for algae control and wondering what everyone recommends ? Purple tangs are my all time favourite fish but if they aren’t the best with algae I’ll go elsewhere, thanks in advance !
Tomini tangs destroy algae.

OP
OP
Benmil

Benmil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tangs are excellent algae eaters
was thinking maybe 2 yellow tangs, to be honest i'm sure any of the options would be perfectly fine just wondering if people have found certain tangs to be better than others at clearing some of that pesky frag plug algae

OP
OP
Benmil

Benmil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Whitetail Bristletooth Tang!
seems like the bristletooths are the best bet, was going to get a yellow eyed kole but in the UK they are almost impossible to get at the minute !

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that bristletooths (Ctenochaetus genus: kole, tomini, white tail, etc) eat different types of algae than the sailfins (Zebrasoma genus: yellow, purple, etc).

You can get more than one for a 5x3 tank.

Another great algae eating fish is one of the foxfaces.

OP
OP
Benmil

Benmil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that bristletooths (Ctenochaetus genus: kole, tomini, white tail, etc) eat different types of algae than the sailfins (Zebrasoma genus: yellow, purple, etc).

You can get more than one for a 5x3 tank.

Another great algae eating fish is one of the foxfaces.
I have a little Fiji foxface in my display but he’s a bugger for nipping my LPS , still love the little fella and he’s great for algae. I might just see what sort of algae I’m having issues with and sort from there. Thanks for the help everyone , I’ve got mollies doing the work in my little frag tank and they are brilliant to be honest

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josvanmeer's hit on the very suggestion I'd make;

Bristletooth tangs are industrious removers of film algaes, while Zebrasoma seem to be the handiest with hair algaes. Purples get a little bit big, but a smaller purple or a yellow and a bristletooth would give you a near unbeatable team.

A lot of folks recommend the foxfaces for bubble algae, and I have one in my tank - but I've also seen my purple tackle bubble.

~B.

Back