Tang eating this brown nuisance, help ID if it's Dino/Cyano or some other Brown hair algae (pictures)

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help ID this? It's on the back wall and on the rocks. Pretty loose. As you can see on the upper section, my Sailfin Tang is feasting on it. From my understanding, most fish won't eat Dino's or Cyano, so if the Tang is eating it, must be something else? I haven't had a chance to run the "strainer" test yet to see if I can ID it as Dino/Cyano, BUT, I was hoping to rule those out IF Tangs did not typically eat them?

A week ago my Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate were 0 and Phospate was about 0.04; I realize Dino's thrive in low nutrient water so I'm hoping that's not it (since the Tang is eating this stuff).

Right now I only have hermit crabs, no snails, urchins, star fish (which I plan to remedy soon!)

Probably should give a quick background on the tank. It was established about 9 months ago by my neighbor. He decided to sell it and I purchased it. It's been in my home for a week. All's going fairly well (except for the algae, although I wouldn't quite call it a bloom).

220g MLD with about 110 lbs live rock/40 lbs dry rock, 120 lbs sand (1" bed)
Eshopps RS-300 sump
Reef Octo 200s skimmer
Maxspect Gyre XF350 QTYx2
Just started with activated carbon in mesh bag
NO UV
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
5 or so hermit crabs

20200611_160437.jpg IMG_9036.JPG

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like microalgae to me. I agree that it's not dinos or cyano.

Acroguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bit of dinos and my scopas tang eats it. I know people will say tangs dont eat dinos but I experienced that they do.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back