Tang food

Reefhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R!!! Setting up my new build with a Refugium and want to grow macro but I really want to be able to harvest the growth to feed my blonde naso, blue hippo and my yellow tangs.
I know chaeto is best for nutrient export but tangs don’t touch the stuff.
What would be the next best option for growing tasty tang treats and removing some N & P?
I don’t mind running GFO or carbon dosing if the export level isn’t as good.
Do other options need additional supplements?Thanks in advance.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if tangs like Ulva, but if they do the Ulva in my refugium grows way better than chaeto ever did.

Btw, you're not exporting nutrients if you're letting the algae use them for growth and then feeding the algae back into the tank... :)

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Red Ogo in the past and Tangs will eat it with no issue. IPSF calls it Tang Heaven and Algae Barn stocks it as well. Mark from Meleves reef uses a feather caulerpa but I'm not sure if he feeds it to his tank. I do know that Jeremy from RNN uses a Macro that he feeds his tank. You can always shoot him a message and ask him what he is using as well.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second ulva, very easy to grow, and most herbivores ive had enjoyed eating it.
Gracillia is another option too.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if tangs like Ulva, but if they do the Ulva in my refugium grows way better than chaeto ever did.

Btw, you're not exporting nutrients if you're letting the algae use them for growth and then feeding the algae back into the tank... :)
Of all my tangs, only the blonde Naso touches the Ulva. And he usually doesn't finish it either. So I'm not sure what is a good macro algae for tangs?

Nhltc99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This isn't exactly true Larry. Feeding the ulva back to the tangs would be no different than feeding nori or any other sea weed to the tangs. So whether you throw the macro algae away and feed the tangs separate Nori, or you remove the macro algae from the fuge and feed it to the tangs, the nutrients were exported and the fish were fed. Circle of life.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since all fish have different tastes, like people, I would see what your fish will eat before trying to grow it.

OP
OP
R

Reefhack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice. I’ve tied nori to my rocks and the feeding response has been so-so.
I have used Red Ogo in the past and Tangs will eat it with no issue. IPSF calls it Tang Heaven and Algae Barn stocks it as well. Mark from Meleves reef uses a feather caulerpa but I'm not sure if he feeds it to his tank. I do know that Jeremy from RNN uses a Macro that he feeds his tank. You can always shoot him a message and ask him what he is using as well.
Thanks!!

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding the ulva back to the tangs would be no different than feeding nori or any other sea weed to the tangs. So whether you throw the macro algae away and feed the tangs separate Nori, or you remove the macro algae from the fuge and feed it to the tangs, the nutrients were exported and the fish were fed.
Agree, sort of... You're only getting a net export if you're throwing away more than what is getting put in, whether what is getting put in is nori or algae from the sump.

Nhltc99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, sort of... You're only getting a net export if you're throwing away more than what is getting put in, whether what is getting put in is nori or algae from the sump.
Much of the algae is getting consumed and the nutrients are being used to help the fish grow. I think you're over analyzing this. Unless the algae is going uneaten and dying/rotting back into the tank, the nutrients it consumed should be considered "exported"

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back