Need help, tang has ich. I've never dealt with this before

Sent from my XT907 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a reef you cannot treat the fish. You will have to take fish out and put in a quaratine tank in order to medicate. If fish is strong and continues eating sometimes they will survive. Ich can also infect all your fish also.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish in a hospital tank that you treat with hypo salinity or copper.

Tank sits fallow for eight weeks while you’re treating the fish.

Google hypo salinity and copper for treating ich to find the details.

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish in a hospital tank that you treat with hypo salinity or copper.

Tank sits fallow for eight weeks while you’re treating the fish.

Google hypo salinity and copper for treating ich to find the details.

This! And do this for every new fish you get as well, then you will not have to worry in the future.

OP
OP
sredzins

sredzins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have access to a hospital tank, he's eating and not scratching on the rocks. I really can't lose all my fish to this.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed quality food often keep them eating. Soak in garlic and or selcon. Ich can be beat with out removing from tank. Also no ich marine works very well and didn't harm anything in my reef. Expensive though.

Sent from my iPhone by spaceships!

OP
OP
sredzins

sredzins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if he does beat it, isn't it still in my tank? And can come back?

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed the fish in tank use Seachem Focus mix up like a paste with Seachem metronidazole together with good fix food , feed twice a day , feed heavy , add a bit of garlic with the paste, My fish healed up quickly , i never moved him to a Qt tank. IMHO. make sure you mix by directions:clap2:

Last edited:

navila06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my fish beat ich (knock on wood) I did not remove the fish, I fed heavily to keep them fat and used garlic soaked foods. I also turned the heater up to 82° to speed up the process of the ich. I believe that the ich is still in the water even after they beat it. And it's a matter of the fishes health to over come it. I also bought a bottle of this

Aquarium External Parasite, Ich Control: FishVet NO-ICH at Foster & Smith Aquatics

but did not use it. It says reef safe so use with caution, people have reported sucsess with this and others have reported no difference. So use at your own risk, I'm sure there will be people chiming in to say not to use this and I wouldn't disagree or agree with them.

Even if he does beat it, isn't it still in my tank? And can come back?

Last edited:
OP
OP
sredzins

sredzins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are clowns likely to get ich or no due to the thicker mucous layer on their skin? It is discouraging to go through the 8 week quarantine process when literally any living thing can bring ich into the tank. I think I will wait it out to see how the fish does. If he stops eating, if more spots show up, or others get infected, I will do the quarantine process. But as for now I'm just going to turn the heat up and feed quality food often. I knew getting this tang was a bad idea haha... will eventually out grow my tank and already infected it

navila06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck and keep us updated

Are clowns likely to get ich or no due to the thicker mucous layer on their skin? It is discouraging to go through the 8 week quarantine process when literally any living thing can bring ich into the tank. I think I will wait it out to see how the fish does. If he stops eating, if more spots show up, or others get infected, I will do the quarantine process. But as for now I'm just going to turn the heat up and feed quality food often. I knew getting this tang was a bad idea haha... will eventually out grow my tank and already infected it

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of your fish are hosts to the parasite if one is. They will not show outward signs, however the parasite lives in their gills.

OP
OP
sredzins

sredzins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the ich was all over the tang last night around midnight, so I called a friend and he had a 10 gallon he wasn't using so I set up a hypo treatment tank. As of right now there are no spots on the tang. What happened?

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the ich was all over the tang last night around midnight, so I called a friend and he had a 10 gallon he wasn't using so I set up a hypo treatment tank. As of right now there are no spots on the tang. What happened?

You didn't read any of the links you've been provided, it seems.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please read the links provided. The spots you see are NOT the ich. They are scabs from the damage already done. The visual signs of Ich are not a reliable way to diagnose or treat the problem.

reef4beer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed the fish in tank use Seachem Focus mix up like a paste with Seachem metronidazole together with good fix food , feed twice a day , feed heavy , add a bit of garlic with the paste, My fish healed up quickly , i never moved him to a Qt tank. IMHO. make sure you mix by directions:clap2:

Is there a pro with mixing the focus and metro in the pasty form?

I've been using but have not been making it pasty. I'm also soaking in garlic.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
sredzins

sredzins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read every single link you guys provided. I though the white spits were the parasite burrowed in the skin? I just was under the impression the spots would take longer to go away

Back