Tang has stopped swimming

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, sorry for the spam, but my tang has stopped, for the most part, swimming entirely.

Should I return him to my LFS? He swims a little bit at a time but for the most part is just laying down in the corner. I just added in vitamins in the system to help him out- I don't know if thats why he's not doing well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There is more to it. Pics would help but in mean time> > > > > >

is it New as in acquired today? If not - bagging it will stress it more
What is tank temperature and salinity ?
How was fish acclimated to tank ?
What is ammonia Level?

Do you have a way to increase oxygen such as pump and airstone to the tank?

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is more to it. Pics would help but in mean time> > > > > >

is it New as in acquired today? If not - bagging it will stress it more
What is tank temperature and salinity ?
How was fish acclimated to tank ?
What is ammonia Level?

Do you have a way to increase oxygen such as pump and airstone to the tank?
I got it about 4 days ago. Tank is 78 degrees, I think it has gone up a bit because my a/c was off, other fish are fine though. I acclimated the fish by slowly putting water from my tank into the bag. Salinity is 1.025. Testing ammonia now.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry but this is the best picture I can get, he's just sitting in the corner

IMG_2502.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got it about 4 days ago. Tank is 78 degrees, I think it has gone up a bit because my a/c was off, other fish are fine though. I acclimated the fish by slowly putting water from my tank into the bag. Salinity is 1.025. Testing ammonia now.
Any other fish intimidating it?
Acclimation may play a role.
Floating was good, but you shoud have emptied bag into a CLEAN pail or bucket and then added a cup of tank water to the pail every 15 minutes SIX TIMES and tested salinity in pail. Finally taking the cup to scoop fish out and placing it into the fish tank
At the store, ask to see fish eat, observe how it swims, its' breathing and look for any issues with its' skin such as sores, dots, etc.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other fish intimidating it?
Acclimation may play a role.
Floating was good, but you shoud have emptied bag into a CLEAN pail or bucket and then added a cup of tank water to the pail every 15 minutes SIX TIMES and tested salinity in pail. Finally taking the cup to scoop fish out and placing it into the fish tank
At the store, ask to see fish eat, observe how it swims, its' breathing and look for any issues with its' skin such as sores, dots, etc.
Maybe the clownfish could be bothering it, the tang was fine at the fish store, and he was also fine yesterday.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ammonia is INSANELY high... big water change right now? I don't know why... my anemone got stuck in my filter yesterday so maybe thats it? Also, just added in some VitaChem to the tank...

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do all the tests now;
Ammonia
Nitrates
Nitrites
Salinity

Take note of any aggression and keep the lights off to help with the stress while we figure this out..

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is a slow killer.. do some water changes over the next few days and keep an eye on it.. also you said tank is old.. how old is old? 5years or 5 months?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Maybe the clownfish could be bothering it, the tang was fine at the fish store, and he was also fine yesterday.
Isolate the clown into a bucket or the stop while tang settles

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My ammonia is INSANELY high... big water change right now? I don't know why... my anemone got stuck in my filter yesterday so maybe thats it? Also, just added in some VitaChem to the tank...
Water change yes BUT dont rush anything. . . do as normal, equalize temperature and verify salinity of water going in.
I wouldnt test ammonia until tomorrow as you will get false readings the first 12 hrs

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the results;
Ammonia - 0 (I think I messed up the test the first time, did it twice more and got 0)
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - About 0
Salinity - 1.025

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is insanely high? 0.2 ppm is considered very high for instance, but after a big feeding it can temporarily spike as high as 0.2 ppm. This should quickly go away then. If it's higher than 0.2 ppm I would definitely do a large waterchange and the next few days a couple smaller ones depending how high the ammonia level is.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back