Tang has stopped swimming

LeadHead83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put it down to Stress my tang took a few days to settle in. In that time it just hung around the back corner hiding out the way. i would leave him for few days try entice him out with some frozen or live food if his feeding then wouldn't worry he will soon settle in become part of you reef.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the hex tank? If so...the Tang has basically no swimming room....tangs needs horizontal space not vertical.

Just FYI. If this one dies...don't replace it. A small hex is such a terrible place for a tang to be. It sounds like it was already sick and struggling... probably came in with something.

The advise your LFS is giving is just terrible :(

There are many other fish that are interesting that can live in a hex though.

You also should not be doing pH buffer. It will cause a swing and mess with your alkalinity..
I shouldn't have gotten a tang, and I know that now... I was going to put it in my big 75g but I was worried my purple tang would have issues with him. Figured the fish was small enough to be ok for a while.

What are some fish you would suggest for a hex? I have two clowns and a spot blenny.

I was buffering my pH because it was low... what else can I do to fix pH?

Thanks,
Will

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Semi off topic here but I have been thinking lately, is there really a point in buying at your LFS vs online? I don’t know of a LFS that has any living guarantee (e.g. 14 days) that the online retailers have. As mentioned here, LFS often use lower salinity for which (I have been told on R2R at least) can help suppress illness, allowing you to purchase what looked to be a healthy fish that then turns south fairly quickly.
I have thought of buying online in the past, but I like to look at the coral or fish in person. I also like to see the fish eat in front of me. I know no LFS has a guarantee, but it is worth it to me to visually inspect the fish or coral before purchasing. I am lucky to have great LFS by me though.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shouldn't have gotten a tang, and I know that now... I was going to put it in my big 75g but I was worried my purple tang would have issues with him. Figured the fish was small enough to be ok for a while.

What are some fish you would suggest for a hex? I have two clowns and a spot blenny.

Thanks,
Will
Try a goby and shrimp pair maybe....or a firefish.......those stay nice and small!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks,
Will

How low? The buffer is like bottled alk so everytime you try and raise pH you are raising your alk. The pH keeps dropping because if CO2 in your house so you will be chasing it forever with buffer and making corals angry with the swings.

Skimmer airline outside...CO2 scrubbers... Reverse refugiums..open the windows in the house.. are some ways to being pH up but unless you are consistently under 7.8.. I wouldn't worry. Your corals are mad about something else.

If you want something free swimming and have a good amount of live rock with caves then a pygmy angel may work instead of a Tang. I wouldn't call angels disease resistant fish though so if the Tang or other fish brought something in ..it could be an issue.

Other fish I like would be a Pink Streak Wrasse. It will act sort of like a sixline except not aggressive. A bit hard to find but should eventually be able to get one with patience. Would eat coral pests.

A yellow head jawfish would be excellent if you have sand and a lid. They like to hover outside their burrow and are entertaining digging around.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back