OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is insanely high? 0.2 ppm is considered very high for instance, but after a big feeding it can temporarily spike as high as 0.2 ppm. This should quickly go away then. If it's higher than 0.2 ppm I would definitely do a large waterchange and the next few days a couple smaller ones depending how high the ammonia level is.
My reading was 2.0ppm lol... but it was wrong- I re did the test twice and got 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What test kit(s) are you using?
Erick Armanii mentioned a couple of questions also contributing to this issue. Water change will do wonders

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reading was 2.0ppm lol... but it was wrong- I re did the test twice and got 0
We posted almost on the same time I guess haha, 2.0 ppm would have probably killed things already.
Unfortunately I'm not very experienced on diseases or stress, so I'm afraid I can't help you. Will definitely keep an eye on this thread tho

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your other thread you noticed marks or scarring on the side of this fish. I personally wouldn't have added it to the DT without at least an observation period first if that was the case but that's hind sight and all. If possible I'd get that fish in a hospital tank and see if you can get some better pictures to ID what's going on, could maybe be a bacteria infection, your original pic looked a bit like brook but I didn't comment originally because the pic wasn't clear and I could be mistaking the lights and shadowing for skin markings.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your other thread you noticed marks or scarring on the side of this fish. I personally wouldn't have added it to the DT without at least an observation period first if that was the case but that's hind sight and all. If possible I'd get that fish in a hospital tank and see if you can get some better pictures to ID what's going on, could maybe be a bacteria infection, your original pic looked a bit like brook but I didn't comment originally because the pic wasn't clear and I could be mistaking the lights and shadowing for skin markings.
Ok I'll try my best to get another picture for you.. I'll look into brook and see if it looks like that.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll try my best to get another picture for you.. I'll look into brook and see if it looks like that.
Here's the pic I'm referring to btw, idk if I'm looking at the light and shading as what your referring to.. also note the fin being all ripped up. I'd also look into bacteria infections, specificly vibro with the speed of this progression.

1662988-2711bdaca8098c547674360caff1ac75.jpg

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I leave the lights off for?
Wait until tomorrow and then keep them on your normal schedule.. your parameters look fine.

as @vetteguy53081mentioned, do proper water changes; match temp and salinity. Also what’s the size of the tank?

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update; just put two drops of garlic (bottle told me not to exceed two) on a half sheet of seaweed and put it in there... hopefully he eats it.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the pic I'm referring to btw, idk if I'm looking at the light and shading as what your referring to.. also note the fin being all ripped up. I'd also look into bacteria infections, specificly vibro with the speed of this progression.

1662988-2711bdaca8098c547674360caff1ac75.jpg
His whole center is what is scraped... if you can see how it's a bit lighter there. I'll look into vibro.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until tomorrow and then keep them on your normal schedule.. your parameters look fine.

as @vetteguy53081mentioned, do proper water changes; match temp and salinity. Also what’s the size of the tank?
35 gal- my LFS said he'd be fine in there for a while because he's very very small.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime tangs are really good carriers for a variety of nasties and these things start coming out with stress. To be bluntly honest the fish stoping swimming is a bad sign it's rare they come back at that point. I'd try to keep everything stable maybe do an extra wc and add some extra air. My guess is there's some other issues with this fish that didn't come to light untill a little stress was added to the equation, if it's just a poor acclimating or getting picked on there's a chance if there's internal parasites and/or bacteria he's likely beyond saving.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that you shouldn't try btw, that probably sounds quite bleak. It's just my experience that laying on the bottom often leads to death. If it was me I'd get that fish into a hospital tank and try a parzipro treatment. If that worked and it started looking better evaluate for other issues like a secondary bacteria etc. I have a 45gal that I fill about 4" for tang qt but as small as a 20 or 10 could work and keep stress low as long as you can give long spaces for clear swimming and pipes to hide in.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that you shouldn't try btw, that probably sounds quite bleak. It's just my experience that laying on the bottom often leads to death. If it was me I'd get that fish into a hospital tank and try a parzipro treatment. If that worked and it started looking better evaluate for other issues like a secondary bacteria etc. I have a 45gal that I fill about 4" for tang qt but as small as a 20 or 10 could work and keep stress low as long as you can give long spaces for clear swimming and pipes to hide in.
Yeah... he's not quite laying on the bottom just yet. He has some sort of disease that is maybe causing him to scratch. I'm gonna try and return him to my LFS tomorrow provided he lives that long. Since my parameters are good, I'm gonna leave the blanket over my tank and just let him relax. He's swimming around the tank now that there's no light- he hasn't eaten the seaweed though.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how much longer I can keep doing all this. I've posted like 10 questions in the past few days about random stuff that just keeps going wrong in my tanks. Can't seem to ever get any of it right, hopefully I learn eventually.

diar695

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also guys, the tang is swimming around kind of normally. Somethings still off though.

I have a TON of experince with tangs and have Gems, a Koi and PTs myself. I have done evrything under the sun from velvet (successfully) to what your experiencing. I agree with @TJDSEKULA that tangs can completely thrown off from stress —causing a number of other issues From their weakened immune.

I would leave it alone personally. IME If this happens from acclimation, turn the lights off and leave it be. cover the tank if you can. If they're from the sea, they havent been conditioned to aquariums and can be scared of anything. I beleive in Prazi but would avoid use at all costs in this situation. Water changes need to be 100% perfect (temp, salinity, ph etc) otherwise you’re going to push it further into stress. If it is anything other than that. Unfortunately his odd are slim and even meds will be extreemly difficult to properly admin unless you know exactly what your doing (@Humblefish or @Big G ‘S level).

This just happened to me on a kole tang because the acclimation bucket tiped over midway through. I had no choice but to throw in my tank. My QT is small enough to cover with a few towels so i immediately actioned and left the room undisturbed for a few days (some minor check ins). No food, no volitily in environment.

im no expert by anymeans and some beleive in medicating (as do I) but Id hate for you to regret something based on my experience.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back