Tang ich and prolapse

Somethingsfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple tang with what seems like a rectal prolapse that we first noticed when we got back from a weekend away, last night. Not eating today. It's a relatively new addition (been in tank for 2 weeks) and was the first to break with what we think is ich last week. We put the whole display tank into hyposalinity at 13.5 ppm a few days ago because we were going to be away for the weekend and didn't want to put all fish into 20 gal quarantine tanks (fish only right now). Recommendations for what to do?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a purple tang with what seems like a rectal prolapse that we first noticed when we got back from a weekend away, last night. Not eating today. It's a relatively new addition (been in tank for 2 weeks) and was the first to break with what we think is ich last week. We put the whole display tank into hyposalinity at 13.5 ppm a few days ago because we were going to be away for the weekend and didn't want to put all fish into 20 gal quarantine tanks (fish only right now). Recommendations for what to do?
Unless you have a fish veterinarian (or a good book) - its hard to tell just becasue something is protruding is a 'rectal prolapse'. It could be that, or ovarian prolapse, or a number of other things. If it is not an intestinal sometimes the tissue can be removed and then sutured.. Sometimes it reverts on its own. There is also a recommendation to try to 'put things back in' - but I'm not sure I wouldn't do that on my own. Additionally, sometimes internal parasites cause this - so perhaps treatment for those would also help. Hope this helps

OP
OP
S

Somethingsfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I should mention as well that 5/8 fish, including this one, were bought pre quarantined from a reputable place (according to this forum!). I quarantined the other three with copper and praziquantel. Obviously, though, there was a failure.

OP
OP
S

Somethingsfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20210405_104237.jpg
    20210405_104237.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 75

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

You may find that you are just a bit high on salt at 13.5 ppt in most cases, you need to reduce the specific gravity to 1.009 which works out to be around 12 ppt. It is a fine line though - any lower and you’ll have fish react poorly, but higher, and ich won’t be controlled.
Yes - the purple tang has ich and a rectal prolapse. Not anything you can do about the latter. On larger fish, I’ve had our veterinarian repair it surgically, but that isn’t an option for small fish like this, sorry.

Jay

OP
OP
S

Somethingsfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. Here's a video in case it helps illustrate a bit better. I'll work on lowering the salinity a bit more for the ich. We are willing to try stuff, actually have some ms222, but definitely don't want to stress the fish unnecessarily. Also it seems like there's some bowel or something herniating through and fish is quite bloated. I was wondering whether the lowered salinity might have a negative affect on edema or anything like that with a prolapse, or have had anything to do with it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

You may find that you are just a bit high on salt at 13.5 ppt in most cases, you need to reduce the specific gravity to 1.009 which works out to be around 12 ppt. It is a fine line though - any lower and you’ll have fish react poorly, but higher, and ich won’t be controlled.
Yes - the purple tang has ich and a rectal prolapse. Not anything you can do about the latter. On larger fish, I’ve had our veterinarian repair it surgically, but that isn’t an option for small fish like this, sorry.

Jay
Curious - how can you differentiate between cloacal prolapse through the anal pore, intestinal prolapse through the anal pore, rectal prolapse through the anal pore, intestinal prolapse through the genital pore, ovarian prolapse through the genital pore - without examining the fish in close detail? Is it the size of the area?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - how can you differentiate between cloacal prolapse through the anal pore, intestinal prolapse through the anal pore, rectal prolapse through the anal pore, intestinal prolapse through the genital pore, ovarian prolapse through the genital pore - without examining the fish in close detail? Is it the size of the area?
I think I can see intestinal tissue. Everything meets together right there, and our vet response is to tuck it all back n and throw a stitch on it.
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I can see intestinal tissue. Everything meets together right there, and our vet response is to tuck it all back n and throw a stitch on it.
Jay
Yes - this is what I heard as well - but not for the average 'hobbiest'

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - this is what I heard as well - but not for the average 'hobbiest'
In thinking about it some more, I guess cloacal and intestinal prolapse is a matter of semantics, and I'd say cloacal is more accurate. I said "rectal" where I really should have said "anal" in that is probably more accurate. I don't think it is anything to do with the oviduct though.

Jay

Back