Tang in .54 cupramine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Nothing came off in the fresh water dip. While he was in there I did a water change and made sure 100% everything was good to go in the tank. I was ready to move him to the new tank but I stopped when I noticed white spots on the back fin and sides. I didn’t want to exacerbate the problem further.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Visually, I'm still seeing ich scars and active ich spots. Based on the treatment though, that shouldn't be possible. Can you post a short video? That sometimes helps give me a better general overview of the fish.

Jay

OP
OP
P

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visually, I'm still seeing ich scars and active ich spots. Based on the treatment though, that shouldn't be possible. Can you post a short video? That sometimes helps give me a better general overview of the fish.

Jay

The videos on this website consistently fail. I’ve tried recording videos in a dozen ways and it still is broken.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What copper treatment are you using? It looks like probably cupramine due to the dosage, but unless I missed it you never actually said. Just trying to confirm that the fish was indeed in a therapeutic dosage of copper.

ETA- sorry I'm an idiot I see it was in the title

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The videos on this website consistently fail. I’ve tried recording videos in a dozen ways and it still is broken.
Sorry about the video issue. I’m on my phone, but when I get home later today, I’ll see if I can view them on my desktop.
The fact that the fish is still eating is a really good sign- at least you’ll have some time here.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was able to view the videos at hone. The fish is really flighty, but that may just be a function of you standing there filming it. It is also breathing a bit fast, but not seriously so.
At this point, you’re just testing the idea that the white spots are mucus plugs brought about be the copper. If the spots get worse or if the fish stops eating or breathes faster, then it isn’t mucus and rather is a parasite - you’ll then need to get the copper right back up to a full dose.
Good luck!
Jay

OP
OP
P

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to view the videos at hone. The fish is really flighty, but that may just be a function of you standing there filming it. It is also breathing a bit fast, but not seriously so.
At this point, you’re just testing the idea that the white spots are mucus plugs brought about be the copper. If the spots get worse or if the fish stops eating or breathes faster, then it isn’t mucus and rather is a parasite - you’ll then need to get the copper right back up to a full dose.
Good luck!
Jay
QT is easily the hardest thing I've done in reefing. I'm just at a loss.

OP
OP
P

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: still seeing spots when maintaining .5.5-.6 on seachems test. I am now switching to humble fishes ttm with prazi because this is maddening. Fish is still eating like crazy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lost him. Coming out of the copper was the end. I will likely never do copper treatment again.
Sorry to hear. Try coppersafe in the future, I’ve never had any toxicity issues with it. It does not cure acute infections as quickly though - just a trade off I guess.
Jay

OP
OP
P

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Try coppersafe in the future, I’ve never had any toxicity issues with it. It does not cure acute infections as quickly though - just a trade off I guess.
Jay
Thank you for all your help. It’s a learning experience I just hate it comes at the cost of a great animal.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all your help. It’s a learning experience I just hate it comes at the cost of a great animal.
@Jay Hemdal im just curious as to whether you think cupramine is too harsh? In my experience it has always worked and I’ve never lost a fish to it even though it seemed like the fish was too far gone

OP
OP
P

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal im just curious as to whether you think cupramine is too harsh? In my experience it has always worked and I’ve never lost a fish to it even though it seemed like the fish was too far gone
My experience may be an outlier, because the fish I had was already sick. I just had a connection with the fish and I’ve lost two in copper.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past Jay has recommended to me to use cupramine if you are treating something that is bad enough to kill the fish if not quickly treated. Then for anything else use copper power. Apparently cupramine works faster but is harder on the fish.
I've only treated a few fish with copper and I'd used cupramine in the past. I've only had one fish die in QT, but I'm not necessarily blaming that on the cupramine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve personally never seen definitive copper toxicity - literally thousands of fish - yet home aquarists often have reports of this, why? One is I don’t use Cupramine that often. It has that detrimental reaction to reducing agents, I wonder if that trips people up? I do think Cupramine works faster than coppersafe - that implies to me that it is going to have more side effects. In any event, I don’t tell people not to use it, but if they ask what copper to use, I usually suggest coppersafe because it is more familiar to me.
Jay

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed you were using the Seachem test kit. I have had issues with that kit and making sure the level was correct. My issue was the faint shades of color used to go from one concentration to the other. After losing a few fish that should not have been lost., I got a hanna checker for copper. In comparing it to the Seachem kit, either the seachem was way off or it was way off. Hanna read the copper a lot higher than what the seachem read it at. At that point, I did a controlled test in a set amount of water with an exact measured amount of cupramine. Seachem was off and the kit was still well before its expiration date. From then on, I used the hanna and did not lose a fish anymore when I still used copper.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back