Tang in .54 cupramine

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience may be an outlier, because the fish I had was already sick. I just had a connection with the fish and I’ve lost two in copper.
I think fish that are treated with copper are already sick or have parasites though upright? U less one quarantined the fosh beforehand

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve personally never seen definitive copper toxicity - literally thousands of fish - yet home aquarists often have reports of this, why? One is I don’t use Cupramine that often. It has that detrimental reaction to reducing agents, I wonder if that trips people up? I do think Cupramine works faster than coppersafe - that implies to me that it is going to have more side effects. In any event, I don’t tell people not to use it, but if they ask what copper to use, I usually suggest coppersafe because it is more familiar to me.
Jay
A lot of stores in my area recommended cupramine too or use a little in their tanks but maybe it’s the dosage that is giving g people problems. The seachem test is a little hard to read correctly compared to the hanna test.

OP
OP
P

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of stores in my area recommended cupramine too or use a little in their tanks but maybe it’s the dosage that is giving g people problems. The seachem test is a little hard to read correctly compared to the hanna test.
I would say I wouldn’t do it again without a Hannah kit however in the future I would only do the tank transfer method

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can agree with test kit possibility too. Example had everything calculated out to be 1.0. Other brand test kit read 3.0 after shaking bottles good it gave me around 1.0 reading. Was this .5 ammonia added before copper? Getting a little confused between your 2 threads I saw.

OP
OP
P

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can agree with test kit possibility too. Example had everything calculated out to be 1.0. Other brand test kit read 3.0 after shaking bottles good it gave me around 1.0 reading. Was this .5 ammonia added before copper? Getting a little confused between your 2 threads I saw.
Do what? I added no ammoni I mixed saltwater 24-36 hours in advance to allow any water treatment or salt to fully mix. Predosed my cupramine to .5. Never added any ammonia lol lost me there. You guys are wild.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna tester is certainly the (more expensive) way to go - but I think that the Seachem test is more accurate than their badge. One trick I always tell folks is to dose some make up water with an accurate dose of copper and then test it. THAT is what a full dose looks like on that test. People can even take a picture of the color development for future reference. Putting the reacted test over white paper and under natural light helps a lot also. I use the API test with a spectrophotometer to read it and get fabulous results, while my eyes can't see the colors (grin).

Jay

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna tester is certainly the (more expensive) way to go - but I think that the Seachem test is more accurate than their badge. One trick I always tell folks is to dose some make up water with an accurate dose of copper and then test it. THAT is what a full dose looks like on that test. People can even take a picture of the color development for future reference. Putting the reacted test over white paper and under natural light helps a lot also. I use the API test with a spectrophotometer to read it and get fabulous results, while my eyes can't see the colors (grin).

Jay
Actually that’s a good way to get the best results, and a good way to measure the comparison between the two. I work in a lab so that’s a smart idea and we do that sometimes. Do you work in a laboratory?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually that’s a good way to get the best results, and a good way to measure the comparison between the two. I work in a lab so that’s a smart idea and we do that sometimes. Do you work in a laboratory?

I've been a public aquarium curator for 30+ years. I have a small in-house lab with some equipment that home aquarists don't have - including a Hach DR5000 UV spectrophotometer, which is my go-to device for most tests.

I will admit that I'm "old school" for a lot of work that I do, so I try to stay receptive to new ideas. I also don't always have a good handle on what sort of home testing is available "down in the trenches".

Jay

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a public aquarium curator for 30+ years. I have a small in-house lab with some equipment that home aquarists don't have - including a Hach DR5000 UV spectrophotometer, which is my go-to device for most tests.

I will admit that I'm "old school" for a lot of work that I do, so I try to stay receptive to new ideas. I also don't always have a good handle on what sort of home testing is available "down in the trenches".

Jay
That was a simple but great idea, always good knowledge and advice for people. Thank you again. I’m done with copper for the fish I was quarantining and I’m getting a multibar angel, problem is I want to put all of them in together but I have to wait for the multibar cause of quarantine. I don’t want my other dwarf angels to pick on him. Any experience with them?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a simple but great idea, always good knowledge and advice for people. Thank you again. I’m done with copper for the fish I was quarantining and I’m getting a multibar angel, problem is I want to put all of them in together but I have to wait for the multibar cause of quarantine. I don’t want my other dwarf angels to pick on him. Any experience with them?

Sorry - I don't have a lot of experience with multibars, and what little I do have isn't all that good (sigh). I'd suggest that you post a message on the "Fish Discussion" message area and ask folks there for advice...

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back