OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I can think of is remove copper and add an airstone. Make sure no ammonia.
I appreciate the response. I removed the copper on Monday when issues started, there’s been an air stone since last week and I’ve done 4 WC’s this week all while 2 ammonia badges read 0.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the response. I removed the copper on Monday when issues started, there’s been an air stone since last week and I’ve done 4 WC’s this week all while 2 ammonia badges read 0.
Sorry to see that, I thought it had turned the corner. Is that some sort of oval lesion on its right flank? I wish I had some sort of Hail Mary treatment to suggest, but I don’t….
Jay

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that, I thought it had turned the corner. Is that some sort of oval lesion on its right flank? I wish I had some sort of Hail Mary treatment to suggest, but I don’t….
Jay
I know, I had thought so too. Yes that is some kind of lesion. Any clue what that could be? Infection? I’m assuming it’s related to the current condition. I’ve had the lights dimmed the last few days to minimize stress so I’m not sure if I missed that forming. I was wondering if a formalin bath could be that sort of Hail Mary treatment or it doesn’t suit the situation?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, that link goes back a few years. The Fritz Coppersafe product was very inconsistent but my numbers at that point came from this email correspondence from Fritz.

"Our research has determined that when used per label directions Coppersafe will yield a copper level of 1.16 to 1.17 ppm. At this level there are no fish mortalities in controlled experiments. Gill damage is not observed in treated fish exposed to this dosage level. This is due to the sophisticated chelating agent used on the formula.""

The consensus was that 5ml/4g yielding 1.16ppm copper was not high enough for proper treatment. Unfortunately, several of us used the Hanna checker on multiple bottles of Coppersafe of different years of manufacture and we found that it was very inconsistent.

Edit: I also have noticed that they now state on the website that Coppersafe will yield approximately 2ppm when dosed at 5ml/4g so they may have changed the concentration of the product since that email exchange with them.
Sorry, I missed your post.

I wonder if they did change their formulation? I was getting 2.25 to 2.5 readings from a spiked dose. I want to run replicates though because I was dosing 1 gallon using a micropipette, and errors are easily made with such small volumes.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I had thought so too. Yes that is some kind of lesion. Any clue what that could be? Infection? I’m assuming it’s related to the current condition. I’ve had the lights dimmed the last few days to minimize stress so I’m not sure if I missed that forming. I was wondering if a formalin bath could be that sort of Hail Mary treatment or it doesn’t suit the situation?
Sorry, I was asleep early last night. The fish has likely passed by now. I had thought about formalin or FW dips, but didn’t suggest them as at this late stage, they often just push the fish over the edge.
Jay

OP
OP
Jberge

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I was asleep early last night. The fish has likely passed by now. I had thought about formalin or FW dips, but didn’t suggest them as at this late stage, they often just push the fish over the edge.
Jay
It did pass overnight. I really appreciate all of your help Jay

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back