Tang in small QT, is this HLLE?

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a new purple tang in QT (and the tank was way too small). So I started up a new one and put him in there (20g L). What prompted me is I saw what looks to be HLLE on his face. When I got him in the new tank I noticed the lateral line a bit more. I'm going to keep him in the larger tank, but, is this permanent or do you think he'll outgrow it?

Video (4k)

Some pics, hard to pick up with all the blue
1606161391331.png

1606161430214.png

1606161470950.png

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks thin to me but if it has HLLE it should recover with a proper diet. It should be eating primarily veggies. Alternate soaking nori in a little vitimans and Selcon will help. While they love most frozen foods, they are like giving candy to a child.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a new purple tang in QT (and the tank was way too small). So I started up a new one and put him in there (20g L). What prompted me is I saw what looks to be HLLE on his face. When I got him in the new tank I noticed the lateral line a bit more. I'm going to keep him in the larger tank, but, is this permanent or do you think he'll outgrow it?

Video (4k)

Some pics, hard to pick up with all the blue
1606161391331.png

1606161430214.png

1606161470950.png

I love the pics...quality and the video as well...Now I want a Purple Tang (and I don't need one)...I have enough surgeon tangs....

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is HLLE and it is caused by carbon.

It is not nutrition or stray voltage. Those are red herrings.

This is a really a good article:

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He looks thin to me but if it has HLLE it should recover with a proper diet. It should be eating primarily veggies. Alternate soaking nori in a little vitimans and Selcon will help. While they love most frozen foods, they are like giving candy to a child.

Yep, just picked him up. Been feeding nori and some pellets, for vitamins).
I love the pics...quality and the video as well...Now I want a Purple Tang (and I don't need one)...I have enough surgeon tangs....
Thanks! Good ole pixel 4xl

I'll read the article, but, what should I do differently? The other tangs I have in QT do not have this..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, just picked him up. Been feeding nori and some pellets, for vitamins).

Thanks! Good ole pixel 4xl

I'll read the article, but, what should I do differently? The other tangs I have in QT do not have this..
What other tangs do you have? Some species are more resistant to HLLE than others, and of course, purples are just about the worst in this regard, so you would expect to see it in them first. They are the one species that I see develop HLLE that often doesn't trace back to carbon use, they can just "get it" for no apparent reason. Even if you haven't used carbon on that tank, it may have been exposed to along the supply chain....

The dietary link has never been proven with HLLE, but of course, a good diet is just the smart thing to do!

Jay

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What other tangs do you have? Some species are more resistant to HLLE than others, and of course, purples are just about the worst in this regard, so you would expect to see it in them first. They are the one species that I see develop HLLE that often doesn't trace back to carbon use, they can just "get it" for no apparent reason. Even if you haven't used carbon on that tank, it may have been exposed to along the supply chain....

The dietary link has never been proven with HLLE, but of course, a good diet is just the smart thing to do!

Jay
Thanks! And..fun. I hope he grows out of it. Feeding more nori as I type..

The other tangs are Gem and a Yellow. In a different QT tank, started them at a different time (doing TTM)

Last edited:

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting article. I have had some tangs for over 20 years using high grade carbon with no signs of HLLE at all. Glad I never used bitimus carbon.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting article. I have had some tangs for over 20 years using high grade carbon with no signs of HLLE at all. Glad I never used bitimus carbon.
Definitely interesting. I didn't use any carbon with these guys but I do run it on my display (brs stuff). When I was reefing long ago I ran carbon then with a purple tang, no issues then either.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So update... He still has the scaring going in. He is eating pellets and mysis.. No nori. I keep offering fresh small pieces 2x/day and not even nibbles. What can I do to encourage him to eat the nori??

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update... He still has the scaring going in. He is eating pellets and mysis.. No nori. I keep offering fresh small pieces 2x/day and not even nibbles. What can I do to encourage him to eat the nori??
Persist.

He will eat nori eventually. Also back off the other food if you can. Hunger seems to encourage a willingness to try new things. :p

I am laughing because tangs are grazers in the ocean. Silly creatures. :p

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh macro algae, it wants to graze, my rescue has trebled in size and was not eating when I took it on, eats anything now but will always have the scars, not cheato, I got it to eat fleshy macros on day 2. :)

DSC_0005 (1024x711).jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Persist.

He will eat nori eventually. Also back off the other food if you can. Hunger seems to encourage a willingness to try new things. :p

I am laughing because tangs are grazers in the ocean. Silly creatures. :p
What about dried algae from Two Little Fishies (and others) as opposed to Nori? I worry that much of the bulk Sushi grade Nori I see is roasted, not dried, and I'm worried that the baking removes many of the nutrients.

Jay

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about dried algae from Two Little Fishies (and others) as opposed to Nori? I worry that much of the bulk Sushi grade Nori I see is roasted, not dried, and I'm worried that the baking removes many of the nutrients.

Jay
Very good point.

My days with tangs have long past so it has been some time since I have had to feed them.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
You need to be careful with nori from the grocery stores. You don't want anything but pure seaweed. Two Little Fishies large packs are actually a better deal in most cases and I think your tangs will like it better than the grocery store stuff, especially the green.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back