Tang is doing somersaults!?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night I added a Whitetail Tang to my DT. Swam normally stood up to my Angel and pecked at the rocks like I would imagine him to. So went to be with piece of mind. This morning I wake up to the Tang sucked to the powerhead with a wound on its nose and 2 cuts on its back. Took the tang off the powerhead and now it’s doing somersaults and swimming in tight fast circles and is now laying at the bottom upside down. Idk what’s wrong with him is he just disoriented from being stuck? The photo isn’t of bat quality but you can see the faint red marks on his upper back and a white dent under his eye. Pls help!

image.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night I added a Whitetail Tang to my DT. Swam normally stood up to my Angel and pecked at the rocks like I would imagine him to. So went to be with piece of mind. This morning I wake up to the Tang sucked to the powerhead with a wound on its nose and 2 cuts on its back. Took the tang off the powerhead and now it’s doing somersaults and swimming in tight fast circles and is now laying at the bottom upside down. Idk what’s wrong with him is he just disoriented from being stuck? The photo isn’t of bat quality but you can see the faint red marks on his upper back and a white dent under his eye. Pls help!

image.jpg

A newly added fish like that may have had acclimation issues. Do you know the history of the fish before you got it? Do you know the salinity of the water it arrived in versus your tank?

A video might help tell us if the fish is moribund (dying) or has some other issue.

This post explains the background information that is helpful for us to know:

Jay

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A newly added fish like that may have had acclimation issues. Do you know the history of the fish before you got it? Do you know the salinity of the water it arrived in versus your tank?

A video might help tell us if the fish is moribund (dying) or has some other issue.

This post explains the background information that is helpful for us to know:

Jay
The tang along side the blenny both acclimated with drip for half an hour. I added both in and while the blenny hid immediately the tang was out and about swimming normal acting normal. I added them in them in the evening and that night he was also fine. I checked the salinity in the bucket and it was 1.024 and my tank is 1.025 and I don’t think that .001 difference was the problem. The PH of the water that they gave me the fish in was 7.8 and my tank and the bucket both read 8.2. I don’t know regarding the history of the fish only that he is from Tahiti. I’ll be reading your link. Thanks! I’ll try to get a video attached as he is behind a rock where my cam can’t get to.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Another thing I might add is that the colors haven’t changed at all. A little subdued but nothing like pale.
Assuming these were shipped, Can you detail how they were inrtroduced?
Did you float begs before drip and did you drip into the bag and did you use the bag water when you introduced fish ?

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming these were shipped, Can you detail how they were inrtroduced?
Did you float begs before drip and did you drip into the bag and did you use the bag water when you introduced fish ?
Yea these were shipped. Do you mean introduced into the TSA system or my tank? What I did was add them with the water in the bag into a bucket and drip acclimated them for half and hour. At the end I also added 2 cups worth of the DT water and waited another 5 min. Then I netted out the Tang and grabbed the blenny with my hand. I was worried that the tang would get tangled but no no tangles or struggle. No bag water was added to the DT.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yea these were shipped. Do you mean introduced into the TSA system or my tank? What I did was add them with the water in the bag into a bucket and drip acclimated them for half and hour. At the end I also added 2 cups worth of the DT water and waited another 5 min. Then I netted out the Tang and grabbed the blenny with my hand. I was worried that the tang would get tangled but no no tangles or struggle. No bag water was added to the DT.
Sounds like acclimation played a role and did you equalize the ph and salinity in bucket with that of the destination tank where you placed them next?
While there are many methods of acclimation, the one I use is:
Float for 20-30 minutes
Transfer fish and water into a clean bucket
Then . . . .
Measure the Ph, salinity and temperature of the bag water. If you can, make up some water in a container that has exactly the same measurements as the bag readings and move the fish right over, then you can add a cup of tank water to bucket every 15 mins 6 times (almost 1.5 hours)
Then check salinity in bucket and compare to tank. If no match or very close, add a cup of water every few mins until youve reached salinity and trap fish in same cup and pour off water and release into display. Release under LOW light before lights out. Fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia. The carbon dioxide lowers the pH of the water in the bag, That in turn makes the ammonia non-toxic to the fish. When you acclimate them, if not done just right, you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like acclimation played a role and did you equalize the ph and salinity in bucket with that of the destination tank where you placed them next?
While there are many methods of acclimation, the one I use is:
Float for 20-30 minutes
Transfer fish and water into a clean bucket
Then . . . .
Measure the Ph, salinity and temperature of the bag water. If you can, make up some water in a container that has exactly the same measurements as the bag readings and move the fish right over, then you can add a cup of tank water to bucket every 15 mins 6 times (almost 1.5 hours)
Then check salinity in bucket and compare to tank. If no match or very close, add a cup of water every few mins until youve reached salinity and trap fish in same cup and pour off water and release into display. Release under LOW light before lights out. Fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia. The carbon dioxide lowers the pH of the water in the bag, That in turn makes the ammonia non-toxic to the fish. When you acclimate them, if not done just right, you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia.
Yes the Ph was matched at 8.2 and the Salinity was .001 off as the end result was bucket: 1.024 and DT: 1.025 I released the fish under low light as the light was already ramping down. Was anything else missed? The whole acclamation period was about 40 min with 30 min drip and then the rest of the time adding cups to the water and getting the fish out.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes the Ph was matched at 8.2 and the Salinity was .001 off as the end result was bucket: 1.024 and DT: 1.025 I released the fish under low light as the light was already ramping down. Was anything else missed? The whole acclamation period was about 40 min with 30 min drip and then the rest of the time adding cups to the water and getting the fish out.
To go from normal to moribund, the fish appears to have gone into some type of shock or trauma quickly such as getting startled and crashing into objects with an unfamiliar setting.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blenny is out and about swimming so idk how he wasn’t affected while the tang was. As of right now the tang is in a cave right side up. No longer flipping or laying upside down.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To go from normal to moribund, the fish appears to have gone into some type of shock or trauma quickly such as getting startled and crashing into objects with an unfamiliar setting.
Idk what to do

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Idk what to do
Add OXYGEN WITH AIR STONE IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY AND continue to observe. This does appear to be a treatment issue, so not much in ways of medication can be recommended

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add OXYGEN WITH AIR STONE IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY AND continue to observe. This does appear to be a treatment issue, so not much in ways of medication can be recommended
Add oxygen got it. I’ve got an air stone I’ll add immediately. But don’t all the other fish have enough oxygen already? All the others are perfectly healthy as far as I’m concerned.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything I can do towards the minor cuts on the fish’s back?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this was down to the acclimation process. When fish are shipped they create a lot of ammonia in the bag, when Ph is low (inside the bag) ammonia turns into non toxic ammonium, open the bag, ph goes up, ammonium turn to toxic ammonia, exposes fish to ammonia, lungs get destroyed, and then fish dies of suffocation hours later.

I like to set a quarantine tank to the same salinity beforehand, you can ask the seller what salinity they have their tanks, then just float bag 30 mins and then dump straight in.

Double check salinity before you dump in. If salinity is over 2ppt, then place in a bucket, use prime to neutralize ammonia, and drip for 20 mins.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back