Tang need advice please

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I've had this Fowleri tang in my QT for about 2 weeks. He was in my 180 with a Queen angel until she started to bother him. I seen him scratching so I put him in QT. I thought I saw ich so I slowly raised copper level to 0.4- 0.5 using a seachem kit. The ich never really presented itself and he was still twitching and scratching so I dosed Prazipro. Eats like a pig but is still twitching and scratching. No visible signs of parasites. Checked water parameters 0 ammonia , 10 nitrates. 0 nitrites and salinity is 020. You would think by now something would show on him. Here are a couple of pics. Thanks in advance. Tom

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

IMG_2499.JPG

OP
OP
T

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh by the way I am having a tough time putting weight on him. Eats Nori like it's going out of style. Thanks again

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed his poop at all?

Any white-stringiness to it?

Twitching and scratching is a way of saying something is itchy or annoying, but doesn't always tell us what it _is_. Have you seen any other behavioral oddities?

Stringy white poop would indicate internal parasites, which would also affect his ability to put on weight.

~Bruce

OP
OP
T

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have not seen any white stringy poop but I have not seen him poop much. I am concerned because he is acting weaker this morning. Should lower copper level from 0.5-0.4 to 0.3? Maybe copper is bothering him I have been soaking pellets in garlic and metro but he is not eating them. Should I treat for internal parasites? If so with what? Thanks

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you used Prazipro, did you dose it a second time, 5-7 days after the first??

OP
OP
T

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I did not. I was still not 100% sure what I was dealing with. Should I dose again? Thanks

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I did not. I was still not 100% sure what I was dealing with. Should I dose again? Thanks

I would, yes.

In 5-7 days do a 25% WC and dose again. You gotta time it just right to eliminate any hatchlings before they can start laying eggs of their own.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok should I FW dip him first?

If you think he's strong enough to handle it. You said in a previous post that he seemed to be getting weaker.

However, a FW dip would be a great diagnostic tool to determine whether or not he does have flukes.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also like to ask how long the copper has been at .5? You said he's been in the QT for 2 weeks but that you slowly raised the copper level up... so how long has it been therapeutic? Are you checking often to be sure it's staying that way?

OP
OP
T

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the copper was in for about a week. I think i diagnosed it wrong because still no signs of ich. I had a major out break about six months ago so i maybe a little paranoid. LOL. He is still action really weird like something is bothering like flashing and hiding in cave alot. Still eating especially Nori. Did notice one poop being white but another after that was brown so i dont know. Removing the copper to a low theraputic level. Trying to soak food with Metro and Focus but having a tough time. Anyone maybe Humblefish could give me some insight into it. I would appreciate it . Tom

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Thomashtom Did you ever do the FW dip? That would go a long way in determining whether he might have ich/velvet or possibly flukes.

OP
OP
T

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know how he would handle a FW dip? Bought some focus want to try feeding Metro on food with some garlic extract. How do you prepare it? Thanks Tom

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About one tablespoon of food (if that's more than you'll use at one time, you can refrigerate the leftovers), one Seachem measure of Focus, one Seachem measure of Metro. Mix and allow to stand for a few minutes - feed to fish as normal, 1-2 x per day. Works with frozen/thawed and slightly moistened pellets. (Flakes, maybe not so much...)

~Bruce

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back