Tang not active and not eating

Tallon 22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a 50% water change. I thought all went well. Trying to get rid of a diatom bloom. Tank is 2 months old. Now water is lightly cloudy and tang is inactive and not eating. i am running purit now for about 8 hours with another bag of carbon. Also a small bag of phosgaurd.
ammonia is .1
nitrates are 10 ppm
phos .2
ph is 8

image.jpg

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a 50% water change. I thought all went well. Trying to get rid of a diatom bloom. Tank is 2 months old. Now water is lightly cloudy and tang is inactive and not eating. i am running purit now for about 8 hours with another bag of carbon. Also a small bag of phosgaurd.
ammonia is .1
nitrates are 10 ppm
phos .2
ph is 8

image.jpg
Makes me nervous that you are registering that much ammonia… is the tank new?

OP
OP
T

Tallon 22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months
before water change it was zero
the only reason I did 50% was that I needed to move tank out to cut vinyl backing to add refugium. Have not added chaeto yet but light is on back and ready to go

OP
OP
T

Tallon 22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that 1 hermit crab died but I would not think that would be enough to cause the ammonia spike
I am wondering if I left the top of my rock exposed too long.. it was only about 30 to 40 minutes. My coral came through it just fine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that 1 hermit crab died but I would not think that would be enough to cause the ammonia spike
I am wondering if I left the top of my rock exposed too long.. it was only about 30 to 40 minutes. My coral came through it just fine.

Unlikely to be any issue with the live rock. I always mistrust ammonia tests at low range, some of them are really inaccurate. What brand are you using?

Can you post a short video of the tang taken under white light?

Jay

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When u did change did you match water temp and salinity? If you have some Prime it cannot hurt to dose it

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never posted a video but I will try again

It’s not taking it
maybe because it is 12 mb
longer video is still short

what is respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4)

I'm inclined to suggest dropping an airstone into tank if tang is breathing hard; I've heard they have higher oxygen and water purity needs. If you have a QT you can relocate fish you could move it there to clean(er) water. I have just little 5g PetSmart combo tank I store under my desk and pull out as needed. If this were my fish I'd be thinking I'd want it to go 'vacation' in QT while I get main tank settled. Then keep observing tang in QT and see if it bounces back once out of that water. Once main tank was okay then move back in a week or so. If tang in QT doesn't improve, then QT can turn into HT for any medications as needed (once figure out what is going on)

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check salinity and temp. You may have just spooked him. Has it been 8 hours since, or longer than 8.

Any signs besides not eating and lethargic? Is he new?

OP
OP
T

Tallon 22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be a bacteria bloom and water may be low in oxygen?
my water is cloudy a bit. Probably a 1 to2 on a scale of 10 being not being able to see thru the long end

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Test kit is API
And no I do not have prime
dragonet clowns and 6 line are doing great
API notorious for false readings. I would take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use API kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours.
For now, a water change would not hurt especially if AMMONIA is higher that API result is showing and increase oxygen with as simple as an air stone/pump

OP
OP
T

Tallon 22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 77.5
salinity is right at 1.026
it was yesterday at noonish and he seemed fine last night. He ate well and then today he started this

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt it judging from the pic and your description. If you have an air stone throw it in, or point powerhead to the top to get surface agitation up. You are running carbon

How long have you had the tang, what are you feeding it?

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it is a water issue, I think it is a tang issue. Can you give more info about the tang like I mentioned. How long you have it, feeding, any other changes in the tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not taking it
maybe because it is 12 mb

This video worked. The tang isn't breathing fast, so that rules out a number of issues. It does seem to be "off" - like it is stunned or a bit loopy. At first I wondered if it hit a rock out of fright during the water change, but then I read you say that the fish didn't start acting this way until a day after the change, so that isn't it. Sorry - I don't have anything else....

Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.1%
Back