Tang problem, here we go again

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you been trying to feed him? Are you sure he is not eating or just not eating around you? He may just be terrified of the giant thing that keeps messing with his world aka you.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you been trying to feed him? Are you sure he is not eating or just not eating around you? He may just be terrified of the giant thing that keeps messing with his world aka you.
Nori, oyster eggs, mysis, pellets and reef frenzy. All things he seemed to love before the weekend. He's define try afraid of me, but he still would come out eat. I mean, there's a baby purple tang with him and he's completely fine. I don't see him trying to bully him or anything.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the water stable and wait to continue treating then. It sounds like he is extremely stressed. Get an air stone to increase the oxygen just incase his gills were damaged. If you can find someone nearby that is comfortable with freshwater dips then that may help rule things out but a fish not eating is unlikely to be strong enough to survive treatments.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I allways heard cupramine was easier on fish. but you need the seachem test kit.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Let me ask you, have you ever seen a fish with this kind of behavior? Stops eating and breaths rapidly but seems fine otherwise? He's out more njw then the latest two days, but still breathing funnt.

IME; rapid breathing usually means something is afflicting the gills. Parasites, worms, ammonia, etc. The fish doesn't just breath hard for no reason.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME; rapid breathing usually means something is afflicting the gills. Parasites, worms, ammonia, etc. The fish doesn't just breath hard for no reason.

Well, I did the second prazi yesterday, 24 hours has passed. I checked the ammonia and nitrites again. Both zero. My ammonia badge is also reading zero. I just did another 15 gallon water change

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it was the copper. I did third 15 gallon water change today and put more carbon in. I just fed them and he at least came out and tried to eat, didn't really, but was interested.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it was the copper. I did third 15 gallon water change today and put more carbon in. I just fed them and he at least came out and tried to eat, didn't really, but was interested.

My tang (the one that's the big wus and breaths hard like i told you about) he was out today. Like out in the open, even when i approached the tank. Totally weird for him! So i take a closer look. He's leaned up against the glass, breathing hard - like you described- with nothing else abnormal going on. My ammonia badge is straight YELLOW. He's been in copper for almost a month i think. I was trying to do the full 30 days. But now I'm seeing the same symptoms as you are. I'll be doing a water change tonight and dosing prazi- just in case i didn't get rid of all the flukes a month ago.

Not helpful I know, but figured it was worth mentioning since they seem so similar.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should say that mine is still eating and swimming around, just not in a normal, relaxed way like the other fish. He never really has been relaxed in QT though so that's not new. It's just strange.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should say that mine is still eating and swimming around, just not in a normal, relaxed way like the other fish. He never really has been relaxed in QT though so that's not new. It's just strange.

That's very strange. Mine is otherwise acting "normal" except for the breathing and not eating. I'm hoping the prazi/water changes knocks it out of him. I still think it might have been the copper. What kind of tang was it again?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very strange. Mine is otherwise acting "normal" except for the breathing and not eating. I'm hoping the prazi/water changes knocks it out of him. I still think it might have been the copper. What kind of tang was it again?

Mine is a yellow eye kole tang. I'm doing prazi along with the tail end of my copper treatment starting tonight. I'm hoping the two together will knock it out completely. I'm thinking i messed up with my prazi treatment when i did it the first time. (didn't know as much as i did now)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! Awesome!
I'm done with my 30 days of copper, so I'll be stripping it tomorrow. Hopefully mine comes around as well, though I'm pretty possitive it's some kind of flatworm on him.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back