OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, now there is a problem. The purple tang in QT now has ICH. Should I use coppersafe or cupramine? It's the same tank with the yellow Scopas that wasn't eating when I used copper.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way it's copper. You can try the copper safe since it's supposed to be more gentle on them, but do it slowly. Do you think you could maintain Hyposalinity? I know I couldn't so i dont usually recommend it as a treatment.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well your going to have 50 ml total, so take a week to get it up to full dosage. 8ml per day without water changes should get you there in 7 days. You'll have to make adjustments for each water change of course.

I have never used coppersafe, so I'm assuming therapeutic levels will be reached at 50 ml for your 40 gallon tank without another round of dosing like with cupprimine.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I just did a 10ML shot. Do you know what the therapeutic levels for this is supposed to be? My buddy uses it and says it should be 2.0 or so. Its not as strong as cupramine, which is why he said he should be higher. Do you happen to know if this is right?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I just did a 10ML shot. Do you know what the therapeutic levels for this is supposed to be? My buddy uses it and says it should be 2.0 or so. Its not as strong as cupramine, which is why he said he should be higher. Do you happen to know if this is right?

It is going to be 2.0- that's right

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mix hypo & copper, if that's what you are planning on doing. And if I'm understanding correctly. ;)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mix hypo & copper, if that's what you are planning on doing. And if I'm understanding correctly. ;)

Oh no! I was suggesting hypo as a possibility because that scopas tang seemed to not tolerate copper well. It was an either/or, not both for sure

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! I was suggesting hypo as a possibility because that scopas tang seemed to not tolerate copper well. It was an either/or, not both for sure

Ah ok. I get lost/confused sometimes. ;)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extremely weird. At least the baby purple tang had ICH on its body. Today, those spots are gone.

How many consecutive days did you see "white spots" on the fish? Ich trophonts remain for a minimum of 3 days before dropping off.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many consecutive days did you see "white spots" on the fish? Ich trophonts remain for a minimum of 3 days before dropping off.
I only saw them last night, however, there is not light except the recessed lighting in the room, which I leave on all day. Now, obviously, they could have been there I didn;t noticed them, however, I do check every day.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are still some spots left. Now, with coppersafe, when the parasites fall off the fish, should the coppersafe kill it, stopping it from forming a new cyst? Is that correct?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works the same as cupprimine. it will kill the free swimmers after they break free from the cyst

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, are you sure there has been no aggression between any of them, maybe after lights out, he may just be stressing ?
Stress more than often stops tangs in particular from eating.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works the same as cupprimine. it will kill the free swimmers after they break free from the cyst

^^This. The trophont has to fall off the fish, encyst into a tomont and then release free swimmers before copper zaps them. This whole process can take anywhere from 3-72 days dependent upon which strain you are dealing with. However, the vast majority of the time 30 days of copper does the trick. There is also some evidence that copper kills protomonts before they can encyst (into tomonts), but exposure time may not be long enough for complete eradication.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back