Tang problems Help!

Jbdrywallking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 28 gallon qt tank fully cycled with 2 HOB filters. Ph is 8.2, Nitrates are 15. Bought a Kole Tang, 6 weeks later bought a small Purple Tang. Bought ate everything, were fed Nori 5 x a week with other foods. Both were put through full "Humblefish" quarantine procedure including Copper Power ( closely monitored) and Metroplex. When done ran Cuprisorb and did water changes to remove copper and followed up with Prazipro treatment per directions. Fish looked good but 2 weeks after treatments Kole Tang started eating less and less then few days later died. 4 weeks later same exact thing happened with Purple tang. Purple was in perfect color, growing, and basically slowly started eating less and became very spooky and lethargic at the same time. Any thoughts. I have a hippo in my display tank for 3 years and he is awesome but having lots of problems getting any more Tangs ready for my display tank Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have a 28 gallon qt tank fully cycled with 2 HOB filters. Ph is 8.2, Nitrates are 15. Bought a Kole Tang, 6 weeks later bought a small Purple Tang. Bought ate everything, were fed Nori 5 x a week with other foods. Both were put through full "Humblefish" quarantine procedure including Copper Power ( closely monitored) and Metroplex. When done ran Cuprisorb and did water changes to remove copper and followed up with Prazipro treatment per directions. Fish looked good but 2 weeks after treatments Kole Tang started eating less and less then few days later died. 4 weeks later same exact thing happened with Purple tang. Purple was in perfect color, growing, and basically slowly started eating less and became very spooky and lethargic at the same time. Any thoughts. I have a hippo in my display tank for 3 years and he is awesome but having lots of problems getting any more Tangs ready for my display tank Thanks!
For QT, copperpower is sufficient alone. No need for metro unless you have internal issues and cuprosorb removes copper but not guaranteed to get it all. Prazi Pro generally lowers both oxygen abd appetite
What level were you running the coppersafe at ?
Did you provide additional oxygen such as air stone during quarantine?
You mentioned Ph and Nitrates. What was ammonia level and what test kits are you using ?

OP
OP
J

Jbdrywallking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , I ran copper power at 2.0 tested with the Hanna test kit.
Ive been testing the PH and nitrates with the API saltwater test kits.
Looking back I may have made a mistake not adding an airstone to the tank during Prazipro. I though the 2 HOB would provide enough oxygenation of the water. I did do water changes after running Prazi

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back