Tang still flashing after 30+ days of QT

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update:

I've now given the Tang (3) treatments of GC, spaced 7 days apart, and an extra dose on day 4...
So I dosed GC to the QT tank on Day 1, Day, 4, Day 8, and Day 15. It is now day 16 and the Tang is still scratching and head shaking and breathing fast.

Not sure what else I can do besides putting him back into copper for another 30+ days? Maybe try cupramine instead of copper power this time?

He is the only fish in the QT tank now. Should I try hyposalinity instead of meds? FYI, I have never done hyposalinity before, so that would be something new for me (and him!)

Any other ideas?

meds I have on hand;
Copper Power
Cupramine
GC
metroplex
kanaplex
furan-2
ruby reef rally
kick ich
melafix
safety-stop dips. (methylene blue and formalin)
paraguard

I'm seriously thinking of just giving up on this fish. He's been in QT for over 2 months and he still has issues that don't seem to be going away or getting any better.
37 days of 2.5+ copper power
3 weeks of GC treatments, 7 days apart.
1 dose of melafix during GC treatment.
still darting, head shaking, and scratching his face, and breathing fast.

Not sure where to go from here. ugh.

On the bright side, all my corals seem to be thriving at the moment, and all other fish have been successfully returned to the DT and have remained clear. So it looks like my fallow period was sufficient. If only I could figure out the issues with this new fish!
There is one more option. Leave the fish where it is - but remove all medications and watch it. See if it worsens, and then treat with something else. I know - It seems likely that there is a 'disease' - but IMHO it could also be a medication reaction of some sort. Either way - if you're going to 'give up' anyway - this method will do not more harm with medication and the fish ay improve

OP
OP
L

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you should go with this. The symptoms seem to point to gill flukes, but the GC should have offered at least temporary relief. Other gill diseases can cause rapid breathing, but velvet kills rapidly and bacterial diseases are uncommon and don’t really cause scratching.
That's what I'm thinking too. the symptoms all still point to gill flukes, but I would have thought that my GC treatments would have been enough... unless these really are those 'prazi-resistant flukes' that I keep hearing about..... maybe they are real after all!

If I do have prazi resisent flukes... Hypo or fenbendazole?

I might try the Fenbendazole first.. then do the hypo.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Fenbendazole. can get small qty everythingaquatic.com and dose per humblefish recs

OP
OP
L

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Fenbendazole. can get small qty everythingaquatic.com and dose per humblefish recs

Just to be clear, this is only used as a 12 hour bath, correct? It isn't something I would add to the QT tank?

I'm seeing 95mg/gallon, for 12 hours. And I do this twice, 7 days apart.

If so, the local tractor supply store sells a canine dewormer powder that is 22.2% fenbendazole, in powder packets.
They sell a box that has (3) 2 gram packets of powder for $10.

So 1 gram = 222mg fenbendazole.
a single 2 gram packet would have 444 mg of fenbendazole.

444 mg / 95 mg = 4.6 Gal.

So I put 4.6 gallons of SW into a 5 gal bucket.. add heater and air stone. Mix in a 2 gram packet of dewormer, then add fish for 12 hours. Repeat after 7 days with another 2 gram packet. Would have a 3rd packet for a a 3rd dose if necessary.

Or I could do half a packet into 2.3 Gallons of water and have enough for 6 doses. Ammonia might be an issue though since this is being done in an uncycled bucket. might be better off with the larger quantity of water to be safe.

Back