Tang Suggestions for 4ft 165 gallon tank.

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I currently have a 4X2.5X2.5 165 gallon (DT volume) tank and was wondering if I would be able to add another tang. Considering my tank is only 4ft long are there any tangs people could recommend? I would like to be able to keep the tang until its adult size I was going to add a yellow but is seeming an unlikely purchase now due to the expense. Looking forward to hearing some suggestions.

Here is my current stock list:

Tomini tang
Foxface lo
Scribbled rabbitfish
Copperband butterfly
Dusky wrasse
3X clownfish
2X bangai cardinalfish
Firefish
Midas blenny

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I currently have a 4X2.5X2.5 165 gallon (DT volume) tank and was wondering if I would be able to add another tang. Considering my tank is only 4ft long are there any tangs people could recommend? I would like to be able to keep the tang until its adult size I was going to add a yellow but is seeming an unlikely purchase now due to the expense. Looking forward to hearing some suggestions.

Here is my current stock list:

Tomini tang
Foxface lo
Scribbled rabbitfish
Copperband butterfly
Dusky wrasse
3X clownfish
2X bangai cardinalfish
Firefish
Midas blenny
Purple tang are nice .
Mimic tang ,
Yellow eye kole tang are nice but hard to get or very pricy in the same boat as yellows

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Eyed Khole is a great looking fish. Scopas tang is also very pretty once they colorup, mine has blue dots throughout him that you can see up close but definitely didn't look like that at the store.

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple tang are nice .
Mimic tang ,
Yellow eye kole tang are nice but hard to get or very pricy in the same boat as yellows
Hi Rmckoy, hadn't even thought of a mimic tang, beautiful fish tho. What size do these guys reach?

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Eyed Khole is a great looking fish. Scopas tang is also very pretty once they colorup, mine has blue dots throughout him that you can see up close but definitely didn't look like that at the store.
Would the kole play nice with the tomini do u think?

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also been thinking about convict tangs, do u think one would be happy in my size tank?

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A purple tang (NY Aquatics often has them for $99) and/or small Acanthurus species would be a good choice

Would the kole play nice with the tomini do u think?
With caution, they are the same genus so if one is siginificantly larger or more established they may squabble. I’d probably add multiple different tangs simultaneously to lessen chances

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rmckoy, hadn't even thought of a mimic tang, beautiful fish tho. What size do these guys reach?
I honestly don’t know . But a simple
Search could answer that .
I don’t have one .
I have been thinking of one and researching them .
I recently bought a sailfin .
the established yellow didn’t appreciate it too much and beat him pretty bad .
everything is good now but the first 3 days were rough .
Also have a yellow belly blue tang , mata , orange shoulder ,

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Dublin, I'm with those saying Purple. Also thinking a Two Spot Bristletooth? They are not too bad price wise...Not sure on compatibility with the Tomini though? They are of same size/shape characteristic somebody else may be able to advise there. Although 4 ft ,at 165g you should be good to go with many of the species listed. I've had a Yellow in my 90g 4ft for 17 years ....

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max size 8”
125 gal min suggested on live aquaria

Beautiful fish .

Attachments

• 45456D04-BD38-49B7-B4CA-5AF4806791DD.png
    45456D04-BD38-49B7-B4CA-5AF4806791DD.png
    614.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 23AD4E60-B88A-4431-BAB7-A845816D3894.jpeg
    23AD4E60-B88A-4431-BAB7-A845816D3894.jpeg
    623.1 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Dublin, I'm with those saying Purple. Also thinking a Two Spot Bristletooth? They are not too bad price wise...Not sure on compatibility with the Tomini though? They are of same size/shape characteristic somebody else may be able to advise there. Although 4 ft ,at 165g you should be good to go with many of the species listed. I've had a Yellow in my 90g 4ft for 17 years
Wow canuckreefer, 17 years. That's crazy. I would love to get a yellow tang but they're getting so much more expensive now. Would u be able to send in a photo of this ancient fish. I'd like to know what u feed this fella as well because that's what I call long term success.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow canuckreefer, 17 years. That's crazy. I would love to get a yellow tang but they're getting so much more expensive now. Would u be able to send in a photo of this ancient fish. I'd like to know what u feed this fella as well because that's what I call long term success.
Thanks. He dines out on Atlantic Dulse (which I'm certain you must have in Ireland as well), Nori sheets and my own frozen pulse blended frozen mix of Scallop, Mussel, Shrimp and clam. All wild caught except the mussels which are rope grown here next to the salmon farms.
Here is ancient 'Deuce' name being our 2nd YT ....he has always been nice and fat.
20210307_191903.jpg

Back