Tang trio in a 120 gallon mixed reef tank

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,
I am planning on setting up a 120 gallon mixed reef tank. I was planning on having two tangs (one purple tang and one tomini tang) but having a tang trio would reduce aggression among the tank. I want the tank to be peaceful as I will have some other more delicate fish like banggaii cardinals, firsfish, etc. So, what do you think would be the best third tang? I will have a purple tang and tomini tang. Please help me choose the third tang as I am unsure of which one to keep with these two. I will have a refugium and an oversized protein skimmer to compensate for the heavier bio load. Please let me know. Thanks!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tomini and a Convict. Honestly the 120 is to small for the convict and just about right for the Tomini.
I had to remove a rabbitfish as it got to large but it was peacefull.
3 tangs in a 120 is most likely to many, imo.
20210803_161853.jpg

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tomini and a Convict. Honestly the 120 is to small for the convict and just about right for the Tomini.
I had to remove a rabbitfish as it got to large but it was peacefull.
3 tangs in a 120 is most likely to many, imo.
20210803_161853.jpg
So, should I just stick with two tangs and use a mirror from time to time to keep the aggression down in the tank?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, should I just stick with two tangs and use a mirror from time to time to keep the aggression down in the tank?
I have no agression between the Convict and Tomini. I also have 13 other fish in the 120.
6 are bluegreen Chromis. The Convict keeps the chromis inline.
I have had the chromis for 2 years now.
If you feed heavy then you should be ok. However be prepaired to remove fish if needed.
I feed my fish 8-10 cubes a day.
Also make sure you have plenty of swimming space too.
My scape is minimal which provides alot of swimming and enough hiding spaces for all.
20210803_162639.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back