Tang will not take to food in QT

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a mandarin, a madis goby, and a tomini bristletooth tang in qt for 3 days now. The Midas and mandarin are eating fine and have full bellies but I cannot get the tang to eat at all. He shows no interest in anything. I have tried Red and green algae on a clip, garlic blood worms, hikari algae pellets, flake food, frozen Mysis, and live brine shrimp. Maybe I’m missing something else I could try. If he doesn’t take to food tomorrow I’ll be really worried, I always place the food in and walk away with all flow and pumps off. He just always hides in a foam tube and never leaves. Anyone have some ideas I would hate to lose him

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a mandarin, a madis goby, and a tomini bristletooth tang in qt for 3 days now. The Midas and mandarin are eating fine and have full bellies but I cannot get the tang to eat at all. He shows no interest in anything. I have tried Red and green algae on a clip, garlic blood worms, hikari algae pellets, flake food, frozen Mysis, and live brine shrimp. Maybe I’m missing something else I could try. If he doesn’t take to food tomorrow I’ll be really worried, I always place the food in and walk away with all flow and pumps off. He just always hides in a foam tube and never leaves. Anyone have some ideas I would hate to lose him
Had a yellow in QT for 90 plus days and never saw it eat as it hid all the time. Once it got moved in with other fish it took cues from them and started eating well. Keep feeding as mine had to be eating though I never saw it. Mine liked frozen omnivore mix. Good luck

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is the tang and how bit is the QT tank? how's he looking?
He’s maybe an inch if that, he’s very small, the qt is only 10g, he just looks very scared, pale but his stomach isn’t sunken in, I stuffed some algae pellets into his little cave and after I showered they were gonna so hopefully he was the one that ate them

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a yellow in QT for 90 plus days and never saw it eat as it hid all the time. Once it got moved in with other fish it took cues from them and started eating well. Keep feeding as mine had to be eating though I never saw it. Mine liked frozen omnivore mix. Good luck
I’ll run to the store tomorrow and give that mix a try, can’t hurt, thank you for the advice! I’ll keep at it, just didn’t want to dose prazi until he ate

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Literally NO fish turns down brine shrimp. Try that and add a little garlic extract to it as an attractant.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I didn’t soak them in garlic but I gave the tank a comfortable amount of live brine and he said no to it
Hmmm- hopefully no gill flukes or anything. Brine shrimp entices All fish. Fishes' breathing good, not rapid ?

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have anywhere for him to hide in QT? If he is getting spooked he might not eat. I have seen new fish like this be afraid of us big scary humans, and when we leave they pick at the nori or pellets

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have anywhere for him to hide in QT? If he is getting spooked he might not eat. I have seen new fish like this be afraid of us big scary humans, and when we leave they pick at the nori or pellets
yeah i have a couple tubes some sponge and old reef rock in there, the qt is bare bottom though, plenty of spots to hide from me

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm- hopefully no gill flukes or anything. Brine shrimp entices All fish. Fishes' breathing good, not rapid ?
he looks really healthy, i did a bag check and when i do catch glimpses of him he swims fine and doesnt seem to be gasping or breathing hard. i have pictures and videos if you would like

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a bit on the small side and I heard this genus sometimes takes more time than average accepting prepared foods. Hopefully with some live brine and with some time he’ll accept everything. Unlike the more omnivorous Zebrasoma and some Acanthurus that are traditional herbivores, Ctenochaetus are detritus eaters.

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a bit on the small side and I heard this genus sometimes takes more time than average accepting prepared foods. Hopefully with some live brine and with some time he’ll accept everything. Unlike the more omnivorous Zebrasoma and some Acanthurus that are traditional herbivores, Ctenochaetus are detritus eaters.
I got him to finally munch on some pellets today, soaked some hikari algae pellets in garlic for 10 minutes, and when I dropped them in and walked away I saw him picking at them through the doorway, but this information is awesome to know, I should def do more research on the scientific names

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear there's some food interest now
For the first couple days with new fish I keep the QT light off and sit near the tank so they can see me/get used to me being around

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back