Tang with crooked mouth

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first tang currently in QT. I noticed it's either missing a small chunk on one side, or has a "wart" on the other side, so the opening looks crooked. The video shows it best.

Is this normal? Will the missing part grow back or heal (if that's indeed the problem)? It has been 2 days and it hasn't eaten.

Screenshot_20230609_225824_Gallery.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first tang currently in QT. I noticed it's either missing a small chunk on one side, or has a "wart" on the other side, so the opening looks crooked. The video shows it best.

Is this normal? Will the missing part grow back or heal (if that's indeed the problem)? It has been 2 days and it hasn't eaten.

Looking at this it has mouth damage which will make it harder for this fish to feed. unfortunately this may just be a case of it won’t survive at all however the Pro’s may be able to help further.
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

Do you have an observation tank that isn’t sterile and has algae and other natural foods? This will be your best bet with both your mandarin pair and this PT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Makara23

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at this it has mouth damage which will make it harder for this fish to feed. unfortunately this may just be a case of it won’t survive at all however the Pro’s may be able to help further.
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

Do you have an observation tank that isn’t sterile and has algae and other natural foods? This will be your best bet with both your mandarin pair and this PT.
I was hoping for a birth defect rather than damaged mouth.

I bought this last batch pre quarantine in hopes of just plopping them in the display tank, but prepared for the worse and setup a 20gal observation QT tank in case any of the fish had problems. And I was unfortunately right. The QT tank was setup a month before fish arrived and fully cycled with a few live rock with small bits of hair algae, and more bottle bacteria added.

Things I've tried feeding this purple tang: hair algae on established rocks, ulva macroalgae (sea lettuce), red ogo macroalgae, mysis, scallop, raw shrimp, and pellets. It seems settled in these 2-3 days. Swims around but does not eat or peck on rocks.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry at a glance at your thread did it come from the vendor like that if so contact them with photos see what they say

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mouth does look damaged. Sometimes, when shipping fish, a fish gets damaged by the net. Because the fish then goes right into the shipping bag, the person who bagged it is no way to know that this happened. I would contact the shipper to let them know what has happened.

The fish not eating may well be associated with the mouth damage, but in the video, it also looks really nervous and stressed. That may be just from you being close to video it, but if it is generally stressed out, that will keep it from eating as well. If the fish was fully quarantined, there is little risk to other fish by adding it right into your display tank. It might feel more secure there....just a thought.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

This may be impact damage from crashing into an object such as rock or glass as these fish startle easily. It should heal back with no issue but there is never a guarantee as to what shape it will be or fully restored. Other is usually due to fighting but rare with tangs who use their tails in lieu of mouths. Keep an eye on mouth for any signs of infection to occur which should not happen.

OP
OP
Makara23

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a chance to check out a LFS this past weekend and saw a mature purple tang there. This one definitely has a jacked up mouth compared to the one I saw at the LFS. It's still not eating which has me worried now. I don't want it to die in my hands :(

Also, this one has a light yellow, mostly translucent tail. The body is also not a deep purple. The one at the LFS has bright yellow tail, mostly opaque, and deep purple body. Is this normal for juvenile tangs to not have fully developed colors?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a chance to check out a LFS this past weekend and saw a mature purple tang there. This one definitely has a jacked up mouth compared to the one I saw at the LFS. It's still not eating which has me worried now. I don't want it to die in my hands :(

Also, this one has a light yellow, mostly translucent tail. The body is also not a deep purple. The one at the LFS has bright yellow tail, mostly opaque, and deep purple body. Is this normal for juvenile tangs to not have fully developed colors?

Mature purple tangs do have a darker yellow tail and stressed out tangs will have a more pale coloration.

Your tang still not eating is a major concern, but if it is due to physical injury, there just isn't any treatment for that.

Any change in it acting so nervous? What did the dealer say about it?

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back