Tang with Popeye in both eyes

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small yellow shoulder tang in a 10g QT .I purchased the fish 11/18 and all was good. I ramped up Copper to 2. 22 over 2 days. The fish looked good and was eating. It hid all the time but it was eating the nori I was feeding daily attached to a frag plug. 2 days ago I noticed the nori hadn't been eaten. Today I decided to get him out of hiding and take a look at him and saw he has Popeye in both eyes. I'm using an ammonia badge which is showing good (I don't have an ammonia test kit as I've never tested after cycling a tank) and have an established sponge filter in the tank. The tank was set up just before purchase using change water from my other tank that is clean. It was run fallow and all fish treated with copper early this year after velvet. I've never dealt with Popeye and Google is giving me so many different opinions on treatment I wanted to check in here for advice on how to treat. Thanks
20221125_174005(0).jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a small yellow shoulder tang in a 10g QT .I purchased the fish 11/18 and all was good. I ramped up Copper to 2. 22 over 2 days. The fish looked good and was eating. It hid all the time but it was eating the nori I was feeding daily attached to a frag plug. 2 days ago I noticed the nori hadn't been eaten. Today I decided to get him out of hiding and take a look at him and saw he has Popeye in both eyes. I'm using an ammonia badge which is showing good (I don't have an ammonia test kit as I've never tested after cycling a tank) and have an established sponge filter in the tank. The tank was set up just before purchase using change water from my other tank that is clean. It was run fallow and all fish treated with copper early this year after velvet. I've never dealt with Popeye and Google is giving me so many different opinions on treatment I wanted to check in here for advice on how to treat. Thanks
20221125_174005(0).jpg
With both eyes affected, its a bacterial issue and best would be Seachem Kanaplex which is absorbed but can be added with food also

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With both eyes affected, its a bacterial issue and best would be Seachem Kanaplex which is absorbed but can be added with food also

Sweet I actually have some ordered due to arrive tomorrow. Do you think I should continue the copper or stop that and get the water changed out and restart copper later?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20221125_174005(0).jpg
Sorry to see, this issue is very difficult to resolve. There are three possible causes; gas supersaturation, mechanical damage or gas from bacterial growth. Gas supersaturation on a small tank is unlikely in that the tank probably doesn’t have a leaking external pump which is a common cause. Mechanical damage arises when a fish shakes its head violently or runs into a tank wall. Bacterial gas production can also happen, but I don’t see the congestion and cloudiness that most typically accompanies that. Here is an article I wrote on this topic, maybe it will give you some ideas?
Jay

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. I treated with kanoplex twice and the condition has definatly improved. I also treated with general cure as I am moving the tang into a larger qt tank housing 6 disbar anthias that have been treated where they will all be undergoing copper. I figured it would be easier to treat them all together. Turns out it is best for the little tang. He is not hiding as much and he loves to come out and eat brine nauplii that I feed the anthias. He is also eating nori as well. I'm hopeful he will continue recover.
Before
20221125_174005(0).jpg

After treatment
20221208_174013.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.0%
Back