Tang with spots on it

Ryan Friman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I needed to worry about these white spots on my tang.

20170614_203722.jpg
20170614_203724.jpg
20170614_203741.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'd worry about them. It looks like velvet. How long have they been there? Any behavioral symptoms like heavy breathing, hiding, lack of appetite, lethargy, or swimming into the flow of a powerhead or return?

OP
OP
Ryan Friman

Ryan Friman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got him last Sunday along with a Yellow Tang. He recently has started to hide behind the rocks. I don't see anything visual signs on the Yellow tang but he is always hiding (I think because the other tang picks on him but, my girlfriend doesn't think so.) The spots have been on there for a day or two. They are becoming more visible with each day.

OP
OP
Ryan Friman

Ryan Friman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the clown fish we bought with them might have something, too.
20170614_210228.jpg

There were micro bubbles in my tank for a day or two. So, I thought it was just bubbles on them. Here is another picture of the Tang.
20170614_210211.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got him last Sunday along with a Yellow Tang. He recently has started to hide behind the rocks. I don't see anything visual signs on the Yellow tang but he is always hiding (I think because the other tang picks on him but, my girlfriend doesn't think so.) The spots have been on there for a day or two. They are becoming more visible with each day.
You definitely have velvet. You'll need a quarantine tank and either coppersafe or CP. you'll need to remove all fish and run this tank fishless for 76 days, unfortunately. Give the fish a methelyne blue bath if you have it available, if not get that and the ammonia alert badge by seachem for your QT. Time is not your friend here, their gills are usually severely damaged by the time you see spots this numerous. Velvet is VERY fast acting.

Sorry, I know you don't want to hear any of that..

OP
OP
Ryan Friman

Ryan Friman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely have velvet. You'll need a quarantine tank and either coppersafe or CP. you'll need to remove all fish and run this tank fishless for 76 days, unfortunately. Give the fish a methelyne blue bath if you have it available, if not get that and the ammonia alert badge by seachem for your QT. Time is not your friend here, their gills are usually severely damaged by the time you see spots this numerous. Velvet is VERY fast acting.

Sorry, I know you don't want to hear any of that..
Do I need to move every fish into a QT? I have 6 fish, a lion fish and an eel. All I have for a QT is a 20 long.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to move every fish into a QT? I have 6 fish, a lion fish and an eel. All I have for a QT is a 20 long.

Yes, unfortunately they all need to be treated. And the eel I believe needs CP specifically? (Hopefully, someone can confirm that)

Can you get a second QT? Or a larger one, I'm using a 40b for quite a few of mine.

Read here, post #2 on emergency treatment. This is your best chance at saving your fish, and you don't have time to waste:

Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Velvet-(Amyloodinium-ocellatum).217570/

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the eel I believe needs CP specifically? (Hopefully, someone can confirm that)

Yes, I would just leave the eel in the DT until Chloroquine can be sourced. And then treat him in a separate QT.

Odds are his thick slime coat will sustain him longer than the other fish.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll say that I've done a large eel in copper for a short amount of time (like 3 weeks) in the big fish system at the shop. He did pretty well but stopped eating toward the end so we had to move him to a tank without meds. Did pretty well and found a new home. That's not super helpful right now, while he was in the copper, he did well for a while. ((typing while tired is not a good plan)) lol

OP
OP
Ryan Friman

Ryan Friman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the fish are eating in the tank. I put a sea weed clip in and the black and white tang is eating off it. The yellow tang comes out but, the other tang bullies him away. However, the yellow tank is standing up for itself. I think it might be white spot. In the book I have it sounds exactly like what my fish have. The white dots started out as a few and have been multiplying by the hour.

Tomorrow, I am going to get some RO water and lower my salinity. I would do it tonight but, I do not want to use tap water with prime to lower it. The reason I am going with lower salinity and not copper is because I do not have a QT big enough for all of the fish. I am hoping to not loose any fish and see the spots start to receed in three days. Really, it is all I can do because I cannot QT everything, and I think it is white dot.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see the pictures well on my phone but if it's spreading by the hour as you describe, you have velvet, not ich and time is not your friend. Hypo will not do anything for the fish. Also the tang and clown both look thin, I know it's kind of useless at this point but getting some weight on them will help with their immune system in the long run. Good luck

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not whitespot (ich) it's definitely velvet. Your timeline and the appearance and sheer number of them is a dead giveaway

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, hyposalinity will not cure velvet. I'm sorry, there's no easy in-tank treatment for velvet...and without treatment you risk losing many of your fishy friends :(

OP
OP
Ryan Friman

Ryan Friman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the responses. I am new to keeping salt water animals, so I am learning as much as I can. My issue is I have a 20 long and about 9 animals to treat for the velvet. So, I think I was passively trying to dismiss velvet.

Scarybo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the responses. I am new to keeping salt water animals, so I am learning as much as I can. My issue is I have a 20 long and about 9 animals to treat for the velvet. So, I think I was passively trying to dismiss velvet.
Totally understand, but velvet is a fast killer. Best option would be try to find another tank and treat for velvet asap.

OP
OP
Ryan Friman

Ryan Friman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused by the fact that the one who has the most white spots is active, he eats, and he is not hiding. Even when I shine a flashlight on him he stays out.

Scarybo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused by the fact that the one who has the most white spots is active, he eats, and he is not hiding. Even when I shine a flashlight on him he stays out.
With velvet i have seen the same. 9am the fish seems fine and eating. 5pm the fish is barely holding on. Based on the pictures above, it appears to be velvet. I understand your quandary of not having a QT setup at this point, but to give your fish the best chance of survival will require you to act and act now. I know how you feel and sympathize with you.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back