Tang wont eat after prazi

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive had my scopas tang in qt for a few weeks now and i ran him through 8 days of prazi 2x. He’s always eaten. So last Saturday was the last day. I did a 75-80% wc and filled it back up. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to run him through a few weeks of copper. So added copper late Saturday then increased the copper to 2.0 using hanna and coppersafe over 3 days. I do WCs every 3-4 days just to be safe to. Just did one last night.

Well ever since the WC last Saturday hes not eaten anything. Just swims in a dark corner of the tank.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the qt have plenty of hiding spaces?
What type of copper - cupramine, copper power, coppersafe, other?
What have you tried feeding? Consider leaving a sheet of nori in there for it to graze.
Copper can suppress appetite.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So ive had my scopas tang in qt for a few weeks now and i ran him through 8 days of prazi 2x. He’s always eaten. So last Saturday was the last day. I did a 75-80% wc and filled it back up. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to run him through a few weeks of copper. So added copper late Saturday then increased the copper to 2.0 using hanna and coppersafe over 3 days. I do WCs every 3-4 days just to be safe to. Just did one last night.

Well ever since the WC last Saturday hes not eaten anything. Just swims in a dark corner of the tank.
A couple of things I see here that may contribute and please ignore the comment about Poison,.. . . SMH

Praziquantel does reduce both oxygen and appetite so I wouldnt be too concerned UNLESS fish is getting thin.
The Copper needs to be achieved at treatment level in 24-36 hours. Spacing it and building it often offers parasite resistance and is of no Advantage. The product I assume is coppersafe or Copper power and should be at 2.5 but no less than 2.25 to take effect. Treatment is fr a full 30 days and the 30 days start at full level, Not 2.0

What foods are you offfering it ?
What is current ammonia and nitrate level and what test kit are you using?

Increase oxygen if you have not done so already with an airstone and water quality important dutring treatment - just needed to emphasize that

Last edited:
OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im offering it all pellets, flakes, 3 different frozen and nori. Wont touch it.

I have an air bubbler running.

i have not tested ammonia or nitrate. It does have cycled media from main display since starting QT tank. The wife is picking me up a new ammonia badge just to be certain.

i do have a red sea ammonia test but it always shows some sort of level of ammonia so i blame the test and don’t like using it.

I never knew people test nitrate in QT tanks.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

i have not tested ammonia or nitrate. It does have cycled media from main display since starting QT tank. The wife is picking me up a new ammonia badge just to be certain.

i do have a red sea ammonia test but it always shows some sort of level of ammonia so i blame the test and don’t like using it.

I believe Red Sea over a badge
Often I suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use API test kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It isn't due to "poison" as long as you treated the fish with the correct dose of prazi. Copper is fine, even a bit low. I suspect some water quality issue - perhaps ammonia. Get that tested accurately ASAP. Nitrite and nitrate are not an issue in quarantine tanks.

Jay

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Red Sea over a badge
Often I suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use API test kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours
It isn't due to "poison" as long as you treated the fish with the correct dose of prazi. Copper is fine, even a bit low. I suspect some water quality issue - perhaps ammonia. Get that tested accurately ASAP. Nitrite and nitrate are not an issue in quarantine tanks.

Jay
Ok ill test in a minute. I did do a 75% WC last night. Can ammonia build up faster when running copper vs prazi?

I have been dosing Fritz no. 9 after each WC.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ill test in a minute. I did do a 75% WC last night. Can ammonia build up faster when running copper vs prazi?

In small tanks with no functional bio filter, ammonia can build up half a ppm overnight. The Fritzyme should help with that though.....

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Copper has a small impact on bacteria

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the media from my main tank would help.

Should i do WC more often?

No - perhaps not, I was just speaking generally, not about your specific situation. If you used media, you may not have an ammonia issue at all, but testing will tell you that.

Jay

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - perhaps not, I was just speaking generally, not about your specific situation. If you used media, you may not have an ammonia issue at all, but testing will tell you that.

Jay

The test says its high 1.2 on red sea. I just did a WC last night. Do i need to do a 100% everyday. This seems odd to me.

Like are you supposed to test ammonia everyday. Its a crap shoot if your fish will survive QT. And this is the second time this has happened about ammonia. I hate QT. :angry-face:

Last edited:
OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Just did a 99% WC dosed copper and bacteria and ammonia reads .8:confused-face:

Like what the flip.

Im at a point now where i just want to stick him back in the main tank. This is getting ridiculous

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Like what the flip.

Im at a point now where i just want to stick him back in the main tank. This is getting ridiculous
Allow water to settle at least 8 hours before testing. It will be high when just mixed.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like what the flip.

So - half of that ammonia is from the copper meds, it is just an artifact of the treatment. The rest is from you tank. If accurate, that means the ammonia was sky high prior to the change. I can’t tell you why it is that high, but it all stems from not enough beneficial bacteria, too high of a bio load or both.

Jay

OP
OP
doubleshot00

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - half of that ammonia is from the copper meds, it is just an artifact of the treatment. The rest is from you tank. If accurate, that means the ammonia was sky high prior to the change. I can’t tell you why it is that high, but it all stems from not enough beneficial bacteria, too high of a bio load or both.

Jay
Should i add bacteria more often. Like what should i do? More WCs? Its a single tang in a 20 gall long tank (16 total water gal).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i add bacteria more often. Like what should i do? More WCs? Its a single tang in a 20 gall long tank (16 total water gal).
What kind of filter does the tank have?
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back