Tangs… What do you see in them?

MEPAWN35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested with the answers I’ve gotten as a lot of them are about the colours.
Would you guys say the cons outweigh the pros or the other way?
Theres alot i like about tangs and think their pros out weigh the cons that have been pointed out.
But within my tank i do need a bit more aggression or larger fish as i have a banded catshark that gets a little rowdy at times.

One thing i do specifically like about tangs is their shape, especially the shape of the yellow tang, scopus tang, purple tang, ect.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I prob wouldn't pay more than $500 for a fish. Lol.
That's me. Money is different to everyone and speculative to how much you make.
I always say the more you make the more you spend.
I worked with a guy older than me that said there's no such thing as extra money! Lol. I beg to differ with him.
Lol.
D

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tangs are definitely some of my favorite fish and are a staple in my system. They’re personality filled fish and are basically little puppies. They keep my rocks pretty much algae free and are quite majestic and graceful swimmers.
Granted they aren’t a fish for all aquariums as they do require a large amount of swimming room as they are fairly active fish.
Here is a picture of my favorite tangs.
48225A2E-B799-45E9-AA02-5750D9160576.jpeg

I’ve had the black tang and achilles for about 5 years now growing them both out from when they were tiny 2 inch juveniles.
They are with a pair yellow tangs, yellow eye kole, and a tiny purple tang and apart developing their hierarchy there has been minimal aggression between them.
It’s been awesome seeing the achilles’ orange teardrop fill in and his streamers begin to develop.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are definitely some of my favorite fish and are a staple in my system. They’re personality filled fish and are basically little puppies. They keep my rocks pretty much algae free and are quite majestic and graceful swimmers.
Granted they aren’t a fish for all aquariums as they do require a large amount of swimming room as they are fairly active fish.
Here is a picture of my favorite tangs.
48225A2E-B799-45E9-AA02-5750D9160576.jpeg

I’ve had the black tang and achilles for about 5 years now growing them both out from when they were tiny 2 inch juveniles. It’s been awesome seeing the achilles’ orange teardrop fill in and his streamers begin to develop.
Black tang is a dream fish for me, I would have one but It would quickly outgrow my 130 gallon.
Hats off to you, beautiful fish!!!

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Black tang is a dream fish for me, I would have one but It would quickly outgrow my 130 gallon.
Hats off to you, beautiful fish!!!
He’s actually a hybrid black tang so that might also be as too why he isn’t humongous yet. I’ve had one in the past that was the size of a dinner plate lol

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s actually a hybrid black tang so that might also be as too why he isn’t humongous yet. I’ve had one in the past that was the size of a dinner plate lol
When I got back into the hobby I dreamed of black and yellow tangs, that would be a tremendous contrast but then I found out that black tangs get huge, so I'll look at yours from here lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Color, shape, grace and schooling abilities

1655849702581.png
660g tangs 7.3.jpg
660g 3.30h.jpg

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I prob wouldn't pay more than $500 for a fish. Lol.
That's me. Money is different to everyone and speculative to how much you make.
I always say the more you make the more you spend.
I worked with a guy older than me that said there's no such thing as extra money! Lol. I beg to differ with him.
Lol.
D
Trust its all relative... My issue is TOO many hobbies. If it was just aquaria, I'd be set.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of off topic.

I never comment anything, but I always find it curious when people post their stock lists for large tanks (150g+). I've never really had a personal tank that large. It's almost always 8-10 tangs, 2 other large fish and 3-4 small fish.

If I had a large 6'+ tank, it would be 40-50 anthias, 10-15 wrasses, and an Achilles or powder blue tang. Dozens of small schooling fish seems so much more "natural" to me.

I'm not a tang hater though. Achilles, powder blue, orange shoulder, naso, yellow all beautiful fish.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back