Tangs and 6 foot tanks. Come at me tang police!

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TO piggy back with a question I am building a 100 gallon shallow reef, tanks is 5' long but only 12" deep. is depth a concern for a yellow tang and a Blue hippo?

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TO piggy back with a question I am building a 100 gallon shallow reef, tanks is 5' long but only 12" deep. is depth a concern for a yellow tang and a Blue hippo?
The tank is 32" wide? Personally, I wouldn't have a problem putting a yellow tang in there, but a blue hippo would be a no go, they get huge. You'll get better answers if you post your own thread.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g. 2-3 max depending on body shape

3 Tangs if two of the body shapes are like a Yellow Tang

2 Tang limit if both body shapes are elongated like a Hipppo

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have a tank with a few flat rocks and mimic open water. I once placed two dozen small Hippos in a 15g because individually they all hid behind the stand pipe. Now gathered in one place. All swam in the middle and no longer ran for cover when others approached or did the typical knock on the glass we all know must be annoying.

Been wanting to have one monster tank with a large school of powder blue. Doubt I'll ever be able to afford that tank. Would be super cool, however.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s from using pendant style lights. You get more shadowing from single point light sources than you get from strip style lighting. Strip style lighting (including T5, VHO, and power compacts) flood the tank with light from many different angles so shadows are lessened or absent except in really deep overhangs or caves. Pendant or single point style lights (including metal halides) create more shadows, which can create depth in the tank, but can also make it difficult to really pack in corals and SPS can shade and even kill the lower parts of themselves due to higher limbs of the coral shading the lower parts. So a lot people will do hybrid lighting with both pedant style and strip or fluorescent lighting to get the benefits of both types of lighting (shimmer and coverage).
Thank you for this!! It looks great!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g. 2-3 max depending on body shape

3 Tangs if two of the body shapes are like a Yellow Tang

2 Tang limit if both body shapes are elongated like a Hipppo
Would a Goldrim and Twin Spot fall under the 3 tang category?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back