Tangs and nori variety

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something's been puzzling me as I try to get my Hippo eating more algae. We have green nori for people in the house all the time, so that's not a problem. Got plenty at good pricing.
For the hobby, there are various products of 'red' or 'purple' seaweed in nori sheet form as well.
Has anyone found less expensive versions of these? How important are they to dietary variety?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since hippo tangs are planktivores it is probably less important for them to have a variety of algaes.

Variety in diet helps, but it's not the be-all-end-all in husbandry.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it weren't for my other tangs and Foxface I'm not sure I would add any algae to my tank. My Hippo loves his LRS fish frenzy and PE mysis but is content to just pick a little algae off the rocks here an there. He will eat some floating chunks that come free with the other fish pull it out of my pouch feeder.
I don't find the sheet stuff to be very expensive. I use the Ocean Nutrition Seaweed select in packages of 50 sheets for $30. I use 1/3 a sheet per day with quite a few algae eaters. It is the least expensive thing I feed my fish on a per serving basis at $0.20 per day.

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I use the Ocean Nutrition Seaweed select in packages of 50 sheets for $30. I use 1/3 a sheet per day with quite a few algae eaters. It is the least expensive thing I feed my fish on a per serving basis at $0.20 per day.

Thanks! I was looking at Sprung's Sea Veggies and it seemed pretty spendy. I'll check Ocean Nutrition. Also ordered some live stuff from AlgaeBarn, will see if I can get it to survive in my sump and then just trim it for feeding.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back