Tangs dying???

jjjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a disease where one tang can hold and it kill a bunch of other tangs??? Reason is I have a 450 gallon and after I intruded a yellow masked tang into it (I quarantined before hand tho and did some freshwater dips cuz he did have worms on him) a lot of my other tangs started to die like my blue eyed bristle tooth tang, lavender tang, hippo tang and my powder blue tang, my clown tang, my brown scoops tang, and my blonde naso tang does not look good anymore they are breathing real heavy and the clown tang looks thinner than he did before. So can any of y’all help me???

Edit: another one of my hippo tangs died

Last edited:

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like velvet to me. How long after introduction did they start to die?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good lord thats fast. Velvet usually takes between 72 hours and 5 days to kill. Had to be a water issue then.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably low oxygen. You cant really test for that. Are they hanging at the top of the water column, or anywhere in the water in particular? Is your water cloudy at all?

OP
OP
J

jjjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably low oxygen. You cant really test for that. Are they hanging at the top of the water column, or anywhere in the water in particular? Is your water cloudy at all?
No the fish are either in mid or on the bottom. I’ve been putting some meds in there and added some meds that turned the water blue and since then I’ve done a water change so it’s a little cloudy but I believe it’s from the meds

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What "meds" did you add? Adding meds without proper disease or problem identification is usually a bad idea.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is there a disease where one tang can hold and it kill a bunch of other tangs??? Reason is I have a 450 gallon and after I intruded a yellow masked tang into it (I quarantined before hand tho and did some freshwater dips cuz he did have worms on him) a lot of my other tangs started to die like my blue eyed bristle tooth tang, lavender tang, hippo tang and my powder blue tang, my clown tang, my brown scoops tang, and my blonde naso tang does not look good anymore they are breathing real heavy and the clown tang looks thinner than he did before. So can any of y’all help me???

Most diseases do transfer and spread as each have their own life cycle and depend on a fish as a host. Each also have their own behaviors/ Ich is easily detectable by the salt looking grains.
Flukes often hidden will cause a fish to flash and dart with tank, inflammed gills, yawning effect and loss of appetite.
Velvet is a flagellate and also hidden until it reaches mature stage and often looks like powdered sugar or brown dust which then looks like the solar system on the fishs' body.
Additionally with velvet, fish will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. As the disease progresses outwards from the gills, the cysts then become visible on the fins and body.
Some behaviors associated with a fish with velvet are :
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body
- rapid breathing and mucus around the gills

Remove fish from main tank and give them a FW dip or bath and then place them into a QT with vigorous aeration provided. Treat the fish in the QT with a copper-based medication. Although many over-the-counter remedies contain the general name as ich or ick treatments, carefully read the box to be sure it is specifically designed to target Oodinium. My choice is coppersafe at 2.25-2.5 therapuetic level at 80 degrees monitored by a reliable test kit (no api brand either)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we need to back up and get some additional information here - especially a video of the fish taken under white light.
Were the medications added before or after you started to lose fish?
Are there other fish in the tank that are not tangs? How do they look?
Is the yellow mask tang still alive? Is it showing symptoms?
Jay

OP
OP
J

jjjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we need to back up and get some additional information here - especially a video of the fish taken under white light.
Were the medications added before or after you started to lose fish?
Are there other fish in the tank that are not tangs? How do they look?
Is the yellow mask tang still alive? Is it showing symptoms?
Jay
I have a lamarck angelfish, coral beauty, foxface, some dasmelfish, seahorses, several types of clownfish, a striped squirrelfish, firefish, and then the tangs I have now are the powder blue tang, clown tang, brown scopas tang, and blonde naso tang. All the other ones are looking good it’s mainly the tangs tho

the ones I’ve lost is 1 lavender tang, 1 blue eyed bristle tooth tang, 3 hippo tangs, 1 thread fin butterflyfish, and 1 sweetlip clownfish

I posted the yellow masked tang in a video I had moved my tangs into quarantine tanks and the yellow masked tang is in a separate system

I added the meds before the started dying and after the died

Attachments

• IMG_2965.MOV
    18.6 MB
  • IMG_2964.MOV
    34.2 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

(I quarantined before hand tho and did some freshwater dips cuz he did have worms on him)
Without reading the rest of the posts - it sounds like a parasite - depending on what you mean by 'quarantine'. If you did a copper/prazipro QT - thats a different question. BTW - I'm not sure (could you explain) - he had some worms on him - either way, 'worms' would not cause problems with the other tangs that quickly. It sounds like a parasite - and given your tank size - I doubt oxygen/ammonia/etc - unless you're leaving dead fish in there for hours (No offense - I don't think you are - I'm just saying it for everyone else) - I would treat the tank(i.e. the fish - in a hospital tank - for velvet - or a severe CI infection.

OP
OP
J

jjjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without reading the rest of the posts - it sounds like a parasite - depending on what you mean by 'quarantine'. If you did a copper/prazipro QT - thats a different question. BTW - I'm not sure (could you explain) - he had some worms on him - either way, 'worms' would not cause problems with the other tangs that quickly. It sounds like a parasite - and given your tank size - I doubt oxygen/ammonia/etc - unless you're leaving dead fish in there for hours (No offense - I don't think you are - I'm just saying it for everyone else) - I would treat the tank(i.e. the fish - in a hospital tank - for velvet - or a severe CI infection.
I didn’t quarantine with copper I used the polyp lab reef safe medic and methylene blue. I also did a freshwater dip when I got them and a freshwater dip before I put them in my tank. Yeah, I don’t leave dead fish in there I pull them out as soon as I see them

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn’t quarantine with copper I used the polyp lab reef safe medic and methylene blue. I also did a freshwater dip when I got them and a freshwater dip before I put them in my tank. Yeah, I don’t leave dead fish in there I pull them out as soon as I see them
My guess is there is a copper sensitive parasite involved - And it's impossible to say without pictures from your fish. But - In that case - many people would say these may not be effective. Can you (as now I've read the rest) - provide a picture. Have you checked parameters?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back