Tangs For A 140 Gallon 60x18x30

• Total voters

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, none right now. Wait till you get experience as tangs and ich clash. If I HAD to recommend a tang it wouldn’t be any of the ones outside of Ctenochaetus. Tangs don’t all use height and I’m surprised to see Acanthurus tangs (Specifically Lavenders and Mimics) being recommended as both of these species get close if not 1’ at max size.
Please, stick to a Ctenochaetus species until you get a 7’ or 8’ reef tank. Many of the species being recommended here swim too much and need space to turn in. You also need to remember if you plan for a snowflake eel, you’ll need a ton of rockwork to help it feel secure. This will remove swim room for any of the large, pelagic species like PBTs (Powder Browns and Powder Blues), Mimics, Lavenders, Yellows, Purples ect…

I would recommend sticking to one of these species;
Ctenochaetus tominiensis
Ctenochaetus binotatus
Ctenochaetus trunctatus
Ctenochaetus cf striatus

These aren’t aggressive when compared to the species mentioned above, ESPECIALLY the powder tangs. The Genus Acanthurus, consisting of the lavenders, powder, achilles, Sohal and Clown tangs are much more aggressive than a Tomini Tang or even most species from the genus Ctenochaetus.

I know this may come off as aggressive however really, it’s what I personally think should be said however with tangs it’s all opinion and some opinions may be the opposite of what you want to hear.

OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, none right now. Wait till you get experience as tangs and ich clash. If I HAD to recommend a tang it wouldn’t be any of the ones outside of Ctenochaetus. Tangs don’t all use height and I’m surprised to see Acanthurus tangs (Specifically Lavenders and Mimics) being recommended as both of these species get close if not 1’ at max size.
Please, stick to a Ctenochaetus species until you get a 7’ or 8’ reef tank. Many of the species being recommended here swim too much and need space to turn in. You also need to remember if you plan for a snowflake eel, you’ll need a ton of rockwork to help it feel secure. This will remove swim room for any of the large, pelagic species like PBTs (Powder Browns and Powder Blues), Mimics, Lavenders, Yellows, Purples ect…

I would recommend sticking to one of these species;
Ctenochaetus tominiensis
Ctenochaetus binotatus
Ctenochaetus trunctatus
Ctenochaetus cf striatus

These aren’t aggressive when compared to the species mentioned above, ESPECIALLY the powder tangs. The Genus Acanthurus, consisting of the lavenders, powder, achilles, Sohal and Clown tangs are much more aggressive than a Tomini Tang or even most species from the genus Ctenochaetus.

I know this may come off as aggressive however really, it’s what I personally think should be said however with tangs it’s all opinion and some opinions may be the opposite of what you want to hear.
Thanks for the help, yeah a 10" Tang sounded pretty big. So no tangs?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help, yeah a 10" Tang sounded pretty big. So no tangs?
I wouldn’t say no to all tangs, I would totally add a tang however I wouldn’t do one of the large tangs that have been recommended.
I would personally do one of these instead;
Ctenochaetus flavicauda (My personal favourite)
Ctenochaetus binotatus (A very close second)
Ctenochaetus trunctatus
Ctenochaetus tominiensis
Ctenochaetus cf striatus

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so bigger than a mimic but smaller than a blue hippo? So if I kept a Mimic and Yellow the aggression would be low?
In my opinion it will depend on the individual fish. Put them in at the same time. I have a mimic and Scopus. They went in at the same time and hang out with each other. They will be fight once in awhile , but nothing really bad.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back