OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangai Cardinal dying from old age. These fish have a lifespan of only 3 or 4 years, this one maybe 5 years old. Bangai's have one of the shortest lifespans of all fish. His mate died a while ago and they spawned for their entire adult life. He has not eaten in a month (I am not sure if he is drinking) You can see his fins are starting to deteriorate, he is breathing very slow, his scales are not smooth as silk and his top fin is getting shorter. Also, a fish dying of old age shows no signs of disease until later in this process when their immune system starts to mis function. Then he may exhibit spots and the other fish will pick on him. He will find a hole to rest in and the bristleworms will then grab him and it will be all over. I will catch him just before that happens and remove him.
This is the way just about all fish die from old age which probably never happens in the sea.

Here he is with his main squeeze in their younger days.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of designing the new room in my new house where my tank will go. Right now it is a cement room with no windows about 18' X 20'. I need to build my workshop and some closets for myself and my wife. The most important thing is my tank and my workbench. I will put the tank in a closet with the front showing so I will just have to heat that closet while I am not home. I will also heat the rest of the space. Of course I will have multiple heaters in the tank. I am designing my RO/DI in the fish closet as well as my auto top off bucket like I have now. Also the effluent from the RO will feed the blackworm tank as it does now. I will also put in a bathroom and slop sink.
I will use metal studs for most of the construction and wood in the fish closet (for the rust). My galvanized stand now is very rusty and metal studs will rust right away. I will also sheetrock the fish closet with green (moisture proof) sheetrock. I was in construction all my life and have build many such places. The work is easy. The design I want to be perfect before I build. There is also a Home Depot and Lowes with in a mile which will be convenient. :D

I also need to put in an elevator for my wife who doesn't do stairs well due to MS. The place is all on one floor but that floor is over the garage and workshop. :rolleyes:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a great plan!

Just a tiny curiosity on something I know almost nothing about – I touched a metal stud before and it seemed very light like it was made of aluminum. Are they actually made from something else?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are galvanized steel and they are very light. You can get heavy duty ones also for commercial use where they are hanging something heavy or where the walls are going to be very high.
I am cleaning out to move and I just threw out almost all my SCUBA pictures from all over the world. I also found a bunch of old tank pictures from the 80s. I can't take everything and being I have not look at them for years, I don't need them.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea MunnKey, Thank you sincerely as I appreciate it. My wife is not that good today. This is a roller coaster and is very painful for her and it breaks my heart to see her in so much pain. MS has all sorts of weird symptoms and none of them are good. You could wake up blind, deaf or just can't walk or talk depending on what nerve decides to deteriorate. The medication which they keep increasing dulls your nerves but her nerves don't work well anyway so it affects her walking which ain't that great. It is a lose, lose situation and there is nothing I could do for her. 6 months ago I took her to California for stem cells and if it did anything it is very subtle. I hope to take her again next year but it isn't cheap so we can't go to often.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys spawned again last night. Before I went to bed they were, like my Mother used to say "Mushing it up". This morning the female is a lot skinnier. I don't know where they lay the eggs but I am sure my pipefish will enjoy the fry when they hatch.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Paul ... I can totally feel your sense of helplessness as I have a friend whose 8 year old son Logan is weakening and bedridden from leukemia. Logan will have to go through extreme chemotherapy come next week ... 3 times a week. His dad confides in me and cries whenever he shares & pours out his story. It's not easy at all.

We will pray for you especially for as long as it takes ....

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. And I will pray for Logan

Scubabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to say a big HELLO, Paul, and to let you know you're being thought of by many people. I know I already told you I'm praying for you and your wife, but it bears repeating. By the way, how is your back doing as of late? Being the sort of man you are, I'm sure you'd not be mentioning it when your wife's health is uppermost in your mind.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Beth and Thank You. My back is bearable and I don't think about it as long as I don't twist or bend sideways I can deal with it and it is just an old thing.
My wife is still in very bad pain and crys a lot. We have a lot going on with selling the house, moving and some medical problems with the both Grand Kids. Stress makes MS worse as it does with many diseases.
My wife lost over 12lbs because she has such a hard time eating, drinking or talking. This is the third time she has this in 3 years. We are looking for a guy who specializes in the treatment with Gamma knife. The last guy we went to is now very old and I am not sure I want him shooting my wife's head with radiation designed to burn a nerve.
But we will get through this and get on with our lives. Thanks again for the prayers, we will take all we can get.

This is what she has, but MS makes it untreatable

What is Trigeminal Neuralgia?

Trigeminal neuralgia is the most common facial pain syndrome and is often described as "the most terrible pain known to man". Trigeminal neuralgia is characterized by a sudden (paroxysmal) attack of facial pain described as intense, sharp, like an electric-shock, or stabbing. The pain is most commonly felt in the cheekbone, most of the nose, upper lip and upper teeth and, in some people, it also extends to the lower lip, teeth, and chin. Pain is usually felt on one side of the face (unilateral) and lasts from a few seconds to two minutes. Trigeminal neuralgia is the most frequently occurring nerve pain disorder.

Trigeminal neuralgia is also called tic douloreux because there is a characteristic muscle spasm that typically accompanies a pain attack. Patients with trigeminal neuralgia report that the intermittent pain attacks and the anticipatory anxiety from not knowing when they will occur result in a significant deterioration of their quality of life and interfere with daily activities such as eating and sleeping.

There are 12 pairs of nerves, called cranial nerves, which provide the nerve supply (innervate) to the right and left side of the head and neck. The trigeminal nerve is the 5th and largest of the cranial nerves and is designated as cranial nerve number V. It provides nerve sensation to the face, mouth, and the front of the scalp as well as controlling the muscles involved in chewing (mastication). The trigeminal nerve also enables us to feel sensations in the mouth and face such as taste, touch, and pain.

Scubabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Bangai Cardinal finally died of old age. He has not eaten in over a month. He had a good life and is now in the big fishbowl in the sky. :cool:
He had such a good, long life in your tank! I think it's so neat the way you get to know your fish and their behaviors...and that way you can tell when they are acting out of character. I strive to be observant with our fish the way you are!

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Beth and Thank You. My back is bearable and I don't think about it as long as I don't twist or bend sideways I can deal with it and it is just an old thing.
My wife is still in very bad pain and crys a lot. We have a lot going on with selling the house, moving and some medical problems with the both Grand Kids. Stress makes MS worse as it does with many diseases.
My wife lost over 12lbs because she has such a hard time eating, drinking or talking. This is the third time she has this in 3 years. We are looking for a guy who specializes in the treatment with Gamma knife. The last guy we went to is now very old and I am not sure I want him shooting my wife's head with radiation designed to burn a nerve.
But we will get through this and get on with our lives. Thanks again for the prayers, we will take all we can get.

This is what she has, but MS makes it untreatable

What is Trigeminal Neuralgia?

Trigeminal neuralgia is the most common facial pain syndrome and is often described as "the most terrible pain known to man". Trigeminal neuralgia is characterized by a sudden (paroxysmal) attack of facial pain described as intense, sharp, like an electric-shock, or stabbing. The pain is most commonly felt in the cheekbone, most of the nose, upper lip and upper teeth and, in some people, it also extends to the lower lip, teeth, and chin. Pain is usually felt on one side of the face (unilateral) and lasts from a few seconds to two minutes. Trigeminal neuralgia is the most frequently occurring nerve pain disorder.

Trigeminal neuralgia is also called tic douloreux because there is a characteristic muscle spasm that typically accompanies a pain attack. Patients with trigeminal neuralgia report that the intermittent pain attacks and the anticipatory anxiety from not knowing when they will occur result in a significant deterioration of their quality of life and interfere with daily activities such as eating and sleeping.

There are 12 pairs of nerves, called cranial nerves, which provide the nerve supply (innervate) to the right and left side of the head and neck. The trigeminal nerve is the 5th and largest of the cranial nerves and is designated as cranial nerve number V. It provides nerve sensation to the face, mouth, and the front of the scalp as well as controlling the muscles involved in chewing (mastication). The trigeminal nerve also enables us to feel sensations in the mouth and face such as taste, touch, and pain.

Paul not sure if you would be interested but there is a medication in a clinical trial for trigéminal neuralgia at the moment. Not sure if that is something you have tried to date. Hope all gets better soon for you guys.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to know about it. She takes trileptal which is the standard medication, but it has side effects.

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul not sure if you would be interested but there is a medication in a clinical trial for trigéminal neuralgia at the moment. Not sure if that is something you have tried to date. Hope all gets better soon for you guys.

Here is a list of clinical trials from ClinicalTrials.gov. Locito277, is the one that you mentioned on this list?

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Bangai Cardinal finally died of old age. He has not eaten in over a month. He had a good life and is now in the big fishbowl in the sky. :cool:

In all honesty ... anything that dwells in your system tend to outlive their "normal" living years compared to majority of reeferkeepers like us ... we are not worthy!! lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back