Tank birthday, 47+ years

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pesky doors Paul. I tell ya. Close call! BFS (Big F***** Screwdriver) came in for the win once again!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You always need a really big screwdriver and hammer. On the job we called them "Persuaders"
I prefer screwdrivers and margarita's. On the beach we call them "Relaxers". ;)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was not home and they went downstairs, they would have been stuck there because from that side, there is no way to open the door without smashing it, and people buying a house frown on that sort of thing.
wacko.png

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent most of my morning reading through this thread. Very impressive.

I'm about to start up an 88 gallon aquarium myself that I hope to keep for as long as I can. Setting it up in my office right now as that's the only place I can put it - but I hope to buy a nice house in a year or two - and then moving the tank will be 'fun' I am sure. I definitely don't envy you trying to move it.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not counting my chickens until I see a wheelbarrow full of cash. :eek:

TinyChocobo, you read all 3208 posts!!!! I only read 3200 of them and I wrote most of it. :confused:

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TinyChocobo, you read all 3208 posts!!!! I only read 3200 of them and I wrote most of it. :confused:
Sitting here at work and it's a slow day and I'm a fast reader.

I love how you've DIY'd everything. I got the Red Sea Reefer setup because it comes pretty much ready to run - mostly because I'm inexperienced with this and am trying to get a tank up and running to rescue my 29G that's gone unmaintained for nearly a year [I haven't had access to it]. I hope to DIY a lot of upgrades/changes down the road though :).

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cash? Whats that?

And why would you chose that strange thing over Bitcoin? :confused:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was a kid, we used Wampum and olive pits for money. :rolleyes:
I don't even know how to pay for things with my cell phone, I barely know how to make a phone call. I want a phone with a cord and a dial and maybe a big toggle switch to turn it off. :confused:

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Love and I moved to Utah from California where we had lived to 35 years. We lived in the house we sold for 25 years. My heart goes out to you for moving. That wonderful sounding idea of cleaning junk out before you move was just a pipe dream for me. The sale and closing happened so quickly that most of the junk I wanted to get rid of ended up getting packed in the PODs and now has taken up residence in my garage here. At least it's better organized...lol!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG something happened that I have not seen in decades. A dead fish inside the tank. I normally find them on the floor. It was the female stripped cardinal.
It was hanging, stuck on a thread from a spaghetti worm. How appropriate as I love spaghetti.

Yesterday she was eating and spawning, or trying to spawn anyway. She constantly spawns and the male never leaves her alone.
I removed her to do an autopsy because she looked very healthy and not hardly old enough to die of old age. The only thing about her was that she was filled with eggs. A little to much I thought.
The autopsy revealed perfectly clear gills, no internal problems, no cuts, bruises or infections but she was egg bound. That is what killed her and for some reason that has happened a few times in my tank. I lost 2 female mandarins that were egg bound.

I don't know if it has to do with the fact that fish in a confined tank are just constantly harassed by males and they can't get away or they spawn to much because of the constant harassment.
I never read anything on why some fish become egg bound in a tank but if the fish can't lay the eggs, they start to rot and expand causing the internal organs to become compressed.

I think thats a flaw in the design of all fish due to the enormous amount of eggs they carry and I assume sometimes they either form more eggs than can fit or one or more eggs die and start to decompose infecting the rest of them.
At least it is interesting and gives me something to research.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back