Tank birthday, 47+ years

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It pains me my sons and brother in laws are DIY numpties often they won't even try as they have failure tattooed over their foreheads. They are defeated before they even start so dad/father in law does all the stuff for them. Last summer I made a large decking patio. I dug the footings, mixed and poured the concrete, laid joists, laid the decking, made a hatch for the manhole cover and went around gullys etc etc. I did get my son to fetch and carry for me but he was knackered after a few hours yet I was up and down on my hands and knees for a few days building it. I have done lots of stuff over the last few years from electrical, building work and carpentry doing up this 1930s house. Now he's just sold his house. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Son N Law doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to use to hammer a nail in with. :rolleyes:

I wish I knew Chas. The new people are chomping at the bit for me to get out but my new place is still under construction and will be for at least 4 more weeks. Supposed to be at the end of this month.

I am having some right hand surgery on Monday so I will only be using my left hand. :confused:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my undergravel filter and I am all Goo Goo over it. OK not really. It is extremely cheaply made compared to my old one and I hope my rocks don't crush the thing. It is one step above that plastic packaging that roast chicken comes in. It also has some very thin tubes that I will throw out and put in real tubes, not Sissy, Girly Man tubing. Then I have to bend them near the gravel and bring them up into a manifold that I will start designing now as my old one has seen better days although it works well. I am not sure if I will plumb my algae scrubber into it like I have now or make it so my algae scrubber feeds my skimmer and that feeds the UG filter. I have not thought about it yet.
Right now there is a 5' trough that sits near the back of my tank where the skimmer dumps on to, then it goes back into the tank, but if I could eliminate one pump, that would make it a little simpler as I decided not to add a sump. I may in the future, but I don't have time for Girly frivialities yet. :rolleyes:

My algae scrubber flows into a PVC pipe then down into the UG filter manifold.
I realize all you Noobs don't do it this way, (or have any Idea what I am talking about) but I like to be different.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is extremely cheaply made compared to my old one and I hope my rocks don't crush the thing.
I'm less concerned about the rocks crushing it and more concerned that it won't be strong enough to hold in the Godzilla larvae! :eek:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a closing date of the 21st of this month but I will still live here for a few weeks and pay rent. This may work out very well because if my house ever gets finished I will be able to move my fish there while I still live here. Thats the new plan. I wanted to build a large rock to support my reef on but I am having hand surgery Monday so I won't be able to use it or wave to anyone for a couple of weeks. :rolleyes:
One more thing, I may keep my nitrates up high as my gorgonians, sponges, fish and most of the rest of my corals including three SPS corals are thriving fantastically. They are practically growing out of the tank. I am interested to see what else will live so nice with 160 nitrates. :D

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a closing date of the 21st of this month but I will still live here for a few weeks and pay rent. This may work out very well because if my house ever gets finished I will be able to move my fish there while I still live here. Thats the new plan. I wanted to build a large rock to support my reef on but I am having hand surgery Monday so I won't be able to use it or wave to anyone for a couple of weeks. :rolleyes:
One more thing, I may keep my nitrates up high as my gorgonians, sponges, fish and most of the rest of my corals including three SPS corals are thriving fantastically. They are practically growing out of the tank. I am interested to see what else will live so nice with 160 nitrates. :D

That's a shame Paul, just like having one hand tied behind your back but at least the delay in the new house will give you time to get some work done on the new tank you otherwise would not have had.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I can do all sorts of things with my left hand :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new place is just about finished but it will take a few weeks to inspect it, I am guessing we will move the second week in June.
My boat just got out to the new marina today and should be in the water Monday. I will go out there (using my good left hand) and clean the thing and possibly take a ride to check out the Peconic which I only boated on once.

My Daughter sent me this old picture of when my friends and me used to fix old cars and sell them. This Simca we got for $10.00 but I forgot what we sold it for. This was about 1966.

I am the good looking one with the hair on the roof.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to give this Power Monitor away here but I think I will keep it for a few weeks to see if I could use it in my new home. It's cool, the remote goes in your house and it tells you exactly how much power you are using and what it is costing you at that moment. When you shut a light you see it get cheaper. I used to sell these for I think $150.00 but when I put solar power on my roof, the power company changed my meter to an electronic one and it won't work. It only works on those meters that have the disc that goes around. This one is new, sealed in the box and if I don't need it, I will give it to the first person who wants it, "Then". Not now.
Just send a stamped, self addressed letter to me and I will steam off the stamp and ignore the letter. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't read my entire post did you! :D

So far almost everyone wants it, even myself, where was everyone when i was selling them? :eek:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put some new rocks together today but couldn't finish the thing. It should be almost 3' long and will support my entire reef structure, or 3' of it anyway. I couldn't build the entire thing the way I wanted so i am just putting some large rocks together with stainless steel screws, epoxy and cement. I know a lot of people are afraid of stainless steel but those people are Sissy Snowflake Girly Men or maybe Ladies or little girls. :rolleyes: I love stainless steel and wish I could get all my rocks made out of the stuff.
I will have to try to finish it using only my left hand but I didn't figure out yet how I will drill the rocks with my feet or my left hand. I won't be able to use my right hand for 3 weeks but I need to get the thing done so I can soak it for a week or two before I move. I really want to get this thing done but I can't see how that will happen. Maybe i will just rubber band all the rocks together. :eek:

I am trying to get all the use out of my hand now before they operate so i am sitting near my window waving at all the people walking by.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back