OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slim_Okrug. I think you have perfect English and I understood every word of it. Thank you for such a nice post. I usually get things like "Stick an Urchin spine in your eye and die" or "You don't know an Achiles tang from a Duck Billed Platypus so stick an urchin spine in your eye and die" Or, "If anyone followed your method their tank would be an Ick farm so stick an urchin spine in your eye and die".

Things like that. :eek:

Slim_Okrug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you are still alive but did you stick an urchin spine in your eye :D ? Just kidding ofc. Well this is free world and everybody can think whatever they want and i guess maybe my method will not work on other tank but so far so good. Thanks for support. Maybe i will get message like you now :D .

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, don't you ever get the 'take a long walk on a short pier' message? It's my favourite.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, don't you ever get the 'take a long walk on a short pier' message? It's my favourite.
I typically love jumping off of piers! Ottawa though? No thanks.. too cold to jump off the end of a pier there!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slim_Okrug. I think you have perfect English and I understood every word of it. Thank you for such a nice post. I usually get things like "Stick an Urchin spine in your eye and die" or "You don't know an Achiles tang from a Duck Billed Platypus so stick an urchin spine in your eye and die" Or, "If anyone followed your method their tank would be an Ick farm so stick an urchin spine in your eye and die".

Things like that. :eek:
Sounds like someone really doesn't want you staring at supermodels anymore! :p

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, that would be much to kind and besides, everyone knows I like to SCUBA dive so I do that all the time. :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got back from Disneyworld last night and today as I was feeding the tank I noticed something moving in my old bio pellet reactor. I built and installed this silly thing a few years ago as an experiment and figured it was a stupid idea because the pellets made the tank run so much worse so I threw them out. I keep the reactor there with nothing in it only because I am to lazy to remove it as it is plumbed in series with the skimmer. It is filled with brittle stars who seem happy so I leave it alone and forget about it. I see now that it is filled with shrimp. I have not had any shrimp in the tank in many months or maybe years except a pair of pistol shrimp that I figured were mating so it must be from them. I don't know how long they have been in the reactor and I am surprised they are in there because water flows through it and into the skimmer. I can't get them out because if I shut off the skimmer, the water drains out of the thing and back to the tank. They seem happy so I will leave them there and see what happens. I doubt they will reach adult size in there but like everything else, it is an experiment.

It is the thing on the right.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not that old as you Paul, but we do share a common ideas about reef. Let nature do what it does best. 3rd year mark has past and running on bacteria driven system is amazing.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a close up Paul!!

Squint. :cool:
That is an old picture when the thing was clean. There are no shrimp in that picture but you can make believe if you like :D

I am not that old as you Paul, but we do share a common ideas about reef. Let nature do what it does best. 3rd year mark has past and running on bacteria driven system is amazing.

Correct.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like someone really doesn't want you staring at supermodels anymore! :p

The "Princesses" in Disney are all Supermodels so I enjoyed looking at them. :rolleyes:
I used to get all sorts of nasty letters telling me I should not mention my methods because people may crash their tank. That was mostly when my reef was young, maybe only 25 years old. I don't get those any more.
Now I only get the ones about quarantining and why everyone should quarantine. Of course many of those are the same people who populate the disease forum :eek:
I am looking at my fish now, of course I have one eye on my keyboard too. My fish are all smiling and doing the macarana but some of the older fish are doing the Hustle.
Never a scale out of place and they are all spawning or the ones that are alone are wishing they were spawning. I can't tell what the copperband is thinking, he is hard to read and all he dreams about is eating. It's hard to keep enough clams for him. My clingfish is still kicking and grew about twice his size. I really want another one so they can spawn but LFSs don't like to order fish that no one except some senile old Geezer will buy as clingfish are not exactly the meat and potatoes of fish stores as most people probably don't know how to take care of them and not many people like fish you never see. But I do.
My mandarins are still spawning as is (I think) my pistol shrimp and clowns. The yellow wrasses, I think are spawning in the back someplace or when they dive under the gravel and I still have the 4 anemone crabs but I want ten more. These stores just can't stock the cool, interesting stuff and just get tangs and angels which to me are so yesterday. :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "Princesses" in Disney are all Supermodels so I enjoyed looking at them. :rolleyes:
I used to get all sorts of nasty letters telling me I should not mention my methods because people may crash their tank. That was mostly when my reef was young, maybe only 25 years old. I don't get those any more.
Now I only get the ones about quarantining and why everyone should quarantine. Of course many of those are the same people who populate the disease forum :eek:
I am looking at my fish now, of course I have one eye on my keyboard too. My fish are all smiling and doing the macarana but some of the older fish are doing the Hustle.
Never a scale out of place and they are all spawning or the ones that are alone are wishing they were spawning. I can't tell what the copperband is thinking, he is hard to read and all he dreams about is eating. It's hard to keep enough clams for him. My clingfish is still kicking and grew about twice his size. I really want another one so they can spawn but LFSs don't like to order fish that no one except some senile old Geezer will buy as clingfish are not exactly the meat and potatoes of fish stores as most people probably don't know how to take care of them and not many people like fish you never see. But I do.
My mandarins are still spawning as is (I think) my pistol shrimp and clowns. The yellow wrasses, I think are spawning in the back someplace or when they dive under the gravel and I still have the 4 anemone crabs but I want ten more. These stores just can't stock the cool, interesting stuff and just get tangs and angels which to me are so yesterday. :)

I understand completely! It only make me cringe when people quote you, or quote people who quote you, and think they can skip QT while dumping dried flakes into their tank twice a day. I firmly believe your method is the best possible way to keep fish. People just need to understand that it is a complete method (which may or may not include supermodels) and is not simply buying fish online and going with "dump and pray".

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true. People want to use part of my method and when their tank crashes, they blame me and throw eggs at my house. It is a complete method and all the steps need to be followed. You can't have a natural, immune tank and feed flake food every day, that ain't gonna happen. You need food with bacteria as I stated five hundred and thirty seven times. Yes, flakes are great food but if you want to use them, don't use my method, keep quarantining. Most commercially sold foods IMO are to processed and have to be so they can be sold. They are fine but IMO should be supplemented with something that has real live bacteria in it, not just probiotics but real, tough, street smart bacteria. Bacteria run our tanks so resist walking in front of your tank wearing your Speedo. That does not apply to Supermodels because whenever I leave for a few days and the Tank sitter Supermodel takes care of my tank, the fish and corals look so much better and I feel that is the Supermodel essence that does that. :rolleyes:

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cdmckinzie, thank you. I don't know if I am successful or just old. :rolleyes: If you stay at this long enough you will eventually be successful, if there are any more fish left in the sea of course because I killed most of them already.
As for a dragon wrasse, that is a good choice because they are very hardy, but a little destructive as they move stuff around. Most wrasses are kind of easy and some will even spawn. But if you have to wait for your tax return to start a tank I feel buying food may be a better move. :D

I just finished this, it was a quick project to use up some stuff I have and I need to think about it for a while before I finish it. I am not sure what else it will have on it but I designed my next project which I am really excited about. Not as excited as if I grew hair but still excited. The new one is mostly glass and plumbing pipes but something I have never seen before. It came to me last night in a dream. I was dreaming that Christie Brinkley came over to borrow a Steam Pun light, or a cup of amphipods, I forget. :eek:

That would be a nice reading lamp by the bed. I can get food just fine [emoji481] [emoji488] [emoji489] [emoji14] . We just need the big chunk of moolah to get all the expensive lights, skimmer, etc. I'll, have to show my hubby your glass blue bubbly light to see if he can make something like that, I would love to have that by the bed.

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How Adorable! My daughter gave me my first grandchild last year, a boy, so I'm patiently waiting for a trip to Disney World.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How Adorable! My daughter gave me my first grandchild last year, a boy, so I'm patiently waiting for a trip to Disney World.

Cdmckinzie, we have one of those also. :D

I am also building two more very cool SteamPunk Lamps out of mostly glass.

Last edited:

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...you and your Granddaughter look very much alike; of course I mean you look like her, not she looks like you...or..you know what I mean. In other words, you would make a very beautiful, precious little girl Paul (just look at your picture!)!! :D Here is my little Princess (please don't let her hear you call her that though):
20170131_183114%7E2.jpeg
FB_IMG_1487641723055%7E2.jpeg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is totally beautiful. A real little Angel. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back