OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That picture of them was maybe 20 years ago but they never fought and as a matter of fact hung out together like they were brothers.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Sunset party on the beach last night was a big success and there was a really nice sunset.
thumbnail.jpg

Early this morning I decided to go to the beach behind our house (down 170 steps) to watch the sunrise and ponder my existence.
This Lady met me just before I went down.

thumbnail.jpg

She had a little baby with her and was protecting her from mean old me.
I went down the stairs but had to avoid the sprinklers that got me all wet.

It was about 6:00 am and there was no one as far as you could see in both directions which is normal for that beach.

thumbnail.jpg

There is a bench at the bottom where I sat for about 15 minutes. Just me, some seagulls and the occasional sound of a fish jumping, probably out of joy.
It was calm so the tiny waves hitting the shore were barely perceptible.

No planes, no cars, no dogs barking, no nothing, just the way I like it as there are very few civilized places left where you can experience this quiet, especially in New York.

I try to go there almost every morning.

Now at my age I usually think about all the things I did, the things I never did, the things I wanted to do and the things I shouldn't have done.

All in all I had a pretty good life and have gone to almost all the places I wanted to go and did almost all the things I wanted to do.
As a little kid my big dream was to go to The Great Barrier Reef in Australia and SCUBA dive there with sharks. It turns out that was my first dive in 1970.

I wanted to fly in a helicopter, of course I ended up flying dozens or maybe a hundred times. Although I never wanted to crash, I did that twice but even that was a great experience, now that it's over and I didn't get killed. :rolleyes: That probably would have been bad.

"Living" through life and death experiences totally changes your character and your outlook on life.

I don't recommend fighting in a war, but that, more than any other life experience, really changes you and I think, makes you a much better person
(providing you live of course) It will also remove any Snowflake tendencies you may have had and the rest of your life will seem easy.

If nothing dangerous ever happens to you, just normal daily living could be scary because every day is the scariest thing that ever happened. :rolleyes:

It is almost the same with reefing. We start out as Noobs, babies. We don't know what we are doing and worry about seemingly silly things like putting our hands in the tank if we washed with soap, or adding a little dirt along with food.
Every little thing, which to seasoned people don't even think about.

Every time a Noob sees a tiny tentacle or pod they worry if it is a a harbinger of doom. Every new creature they buy is a learning experience and they are not sure what to expect. Eventually of course this stuff becomes second nature and I know I miss the challenge of learning this new stuff.
In the fifty years I have been reefing there isn't to many animals I have not kept and probably killed.
The thrill is still there but after 20 tangs, copperbands, angels etc. I know what to expect.

I do miss that challenge.

There is no point to this post, I just needed something to do before I go to my boat to ponder something else.

This particular post hit home for me @Paul B I appreciate the words and the time you took to write this out..

This hobby has very beneficial for me, and I think it is something my grandfather enjoys vicariously through me. He also served, and had two terms in Vietnam.

Just sitting back sifting through your thread and this post recently particularly made me want to say thanks for the thread!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning like most mornings I took a walk to watch the sunrise and ponder the universe.
I really like to ponder and early in the morning there is no one out. I mean out of the almost 300 houses here in this development, I never see anyone at that time of the morning.

I am not sure why because that is the time that virtually everything happens. Of course those things are too small and insignificant for anyone to think about so I guess my mind is also small and insignificant. But I like to look at these small, common parts of life that affect us all and we rarely notice.

At the beginning of my walk I noticed something walking across the street far ahead of me.
It’s gait reminded me of an old girlfriend. As I got closer I noticed it was a large bird, but I was still to far away to make it out.

Thoughts raced through my mind to try to figure out what it was. An Emu? No, New York is a ways from Australia, maybe a turkey. We have a lot of turkeys here but this one walked different. A chicken? No, to big.

It was a "pheasant". I have never seen a pheasant here unless it was under glass, since I was a little kid. They used to be common in Queens NY and I used to chase them quite often. Over the years they, like most wildlife, were replaced by pigeons, rats, squirrels and Snowflakes.
Peacock.jpg

(It was actually a peacock and I googled them and found out that peacocks are really like pheasants on steroids.)

I walked right up to him and noticed it had a few tail feathers ruffled so I assumed he got into a fight with his main squeeze. ;Meh

I walked past him. This area is farms and wineries and to my left is a golf course and the only wildlife there are greens tenders but to my right is a defunct farm. That farm has not been in business as far as I lived here so it is basically a large area of weeds.

I thought about weeds and how we call them pests. We call a lot of things pests and we don’t like them, but if we look close, the weeds are much prettier and more interesting than grass.

If we don’t cut the grass it gets long, stringy and leans all different directions. Then it grows these crooked seeds which become heavy so the entire plant falls over. Quite ugly. ;Yawn

Most of the weeds are rigid and upright, standing tall. I would imagine an entire field of bright dandelions with nothing growing in between them would be kind of nice looking.

Here we have many kinds of farms and one kind is a sunflower farm. To me, those things look like giant dandelions.
But they sell sunflowers and they kill dandelions.

It's the same with parasites. We all hate parasites and also know them as pests that we want to kill. (Humans are always trying to kill something)

We want to kill them because they are tiny and we can’t see their faces. If we could see them and they looked like our Shih Tzu or Yorkipoo and if we could hear them scream when we exposed them to copper or prizapro we may not want to kill them.
yorkipoo-dog-standing-outdoors-with-tennis-ball-royalty-free-image-1580503434.jpg

Maybe if they were larger and cuter, sort of like Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt we may try to keep the parasites and grow achilles tangs to feed them.

th.jpg

We also hate bacteria which is weird because we are mostly made of bacteria. Some of us are more bacteria than others.
Bacteria, along with viruses and funguses also kill parasites. Poor parasites, they just want to live a quiet life and occasionally suck the blood out of our Copperband butterfly.

Speaking about funguses, during my walk I passed many trees. At the base of one tree was this huge mushroom. There is really no such thing as one mushroom and oddly enough They are one of the largest living things on the planet. Besides some Sumo wrestlers and a girl I once dated. ;Joyful

th.jpg

The part of the mushroom we see is just the tip of a giant organism that extends for many miles under the ground. They send out these tendrils that grow in all directions looking for food and they even communicate through this entire web. Sort of like our world wide web but they probably don’t text things like lol, OMG. or ROTFLMAO.

They probably send messages more like ONAMSIATPOM ( “Oh Nooooo. A Miniature Schnauzer is about to pee on me. “)

th.jpg

I continued past the mushroom and smelled something vile. It was the possum I saw two days before that was run over by a car, although it could have been an SUV or minivan.

Someone must have thrown it back into the woods as it was getting sort of "ripe". Flies were all over it as were maggots. Flies and maggots are another example of pests that we humans hate.
If it were not for flies and their offspring maggots, we would be living in mountains of dead things. Think of that for a while. ;Wideyed

Speaking of flies, near the end of this road is a rescue horse ranch and I know when I am getting close by the smell of wet horse which is unmistakable. Almost as good as rotting possum but not quite as sweet. ;Yuck

As I watched the horses I noticed they kept “swishing” their tails back and forth. I think they have long tails for the sole reason of chasing flies because I don’t think it helps them swim.

I don’t know who designed horses but if I was going to make an appendage to shoo away flies, I think I would make the thing to shoo flies away from it’s "head" instead of it’s rear end where they probably won’t notice the flies anyway. Maybe give the animal three foot long eyelashes or nose hairs. ;Shy

I started to walk back and I noticed a bit of fur just where the asphalt meets the grass. It was a dead fox that I also noticed the day before. This animal has been dead much longer than that possum and was mostly skeleton. I stopped and looked more closely now that most of the smell was gone. I could clearly see it’s spine and I noticed it had a little osteoporosis and maybe a touch of Gout.

I didn’t stay there long because I wanted to make breakfast for my beautiful wife who I assumed was still sleeping and certainly not dreaming of rotting possums, horses tails or my old girlfriends.

I looked up from my ground gazing and noticed a large deer in the middle of the road about fifty yards ahead of me. She stared at me and I stared back. As she was looking intently at me I was thinking how cool it would be if I could read her mind. Was she thinking of “me” as a parasite?

Was she planning how she could eliminate me as this was after all her street and I was a common pest?
I don't know.

th.jpg

The purpose of this post is the same as most of my posts. It has absolutely no purpose at all.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We turned in my wife's Jeep as the lease was up and didn't get her a new vehicle because the new ones are coming out very soon so we figured we would wait for the new ones.

She will most likely get a new Jeep because I am very old school and I will only allow American cars in my house.
That means that if the car was American in the 60s, it is still American to me. And Jeep Exudes American.
(Like I do :D )

Jeeps are probably built in Italy, France, Barcelona, and the Ismass of Panama today but they will always be American to me. They were specifically built for the military in the 40s for WW2. They couldn't build the almost 640,000 of vehicles the military needed so Ford helped them.

When I was in Viet Nam in the one place that had a road, I had a Ford Jeep.
When I got out I bought a Willy's Jeep. The mechanics of that military model Jeep were mind boggling.

You could roll that Jeep down a cliff and have it land and stay under salt water for a month, and it would still run. Amazing.
Their Corporate office is still in Toledo Ohio.

Of course she could get a Ford, Chrysler, or GM vehicle, but thats about it.

I also have a Jeep. And have had many

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant believe you got me to google peacocks...cause that one looked awful and i can see why you wouldnt recognize it as one...seems they moult their famous ornamental feathers in the fall after mating...like how our hair falls out after we get married...here i was concerned that someone ripped its tail off for a craft project and dumped it...never thought they could survive a long island winter but apparently they can....got one wandering around down here too...ive seen neighborhoods in florida that are overrun with then...their squawks are pretty awful...they're kinda like xenia...a couple are pretty but they're sure annoying when they take over

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the only peacock I have seen in decades. I guess they survive here but it doesn't get rally cold any more so maybe we will have flamangoes soon. :p

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today we are having old friends over and I decided to wash and wax the floors in my workshop/Man cave and garage.

So I vacuum the floor, then wash it, then mop it. Then mop it two more times to get up any dirt.
Then I do the same to my garage which is epoxy coated.

I get the wax and start waxing. This is one of those one step waxes that you just put on and it dries like glass.

I do the entire thing and I am waiting outside for it to dry to see the glossy shine.

As it is drying, it is getting duller and duller. OK, I figure it needs another coat. I walk into my workshop and put another coat on the entire thing.
Workshop and garage.

I am again waiting for the beautiful shine. After 20 minutes it dries looking like old galvanized sheet metal that was left outside Humblefishes house for 2 years and he spilled salt water and copper on it every day.

Then I figure something is wrong so I should call the manufacturer and give them a piece of my mind about this terrible product.

As I am looking for the manufacturer on the label I read "Floor Stripper". Do not let dry on the floor or you need a bulldozer to remove it, or something to that effect.

Great. :confused:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did fix it and it looks pretty good now but I did have to wash the stuff off a few times.
This is what the floor looked like just after I put the epoxy in. It doesn't look like that now unfortunately, but it will.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a house full of women. They used to be girls as we have been friends over fifty years and I know all of them longer than I know my wife and we have been married about 47 years. :cool:

It's nice to have great friends.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aww i know some of the things its not btw i always found the wild flowers and plants much nicer than grass lol , course coming from AZ we really don't do grass anyways,

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back